Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nice
btw, how is the turbo lag? Do you experience any kind of torque steer when using launch control? How does the revised haldex system benefit over the stock one?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Teamspeed Member
h82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to behold
Novel approach there with that much power in a GTI...especially after having an accident.

But with all that power and money well=spent into the upgrades, am I the only one here who thinks it would have been better if you had spent just SOME of that cash on a driving/racing school that taught you car control? Maybe?

That being said, I've been certified. And if you are, by all means I take back what I said. Your posts are indeed in depth, but if you spent this much time documenting your builds throw in some proof you know how to drive it all too... Again, I may have my foot in my mouth, but I hate to see great cars ruined by incapable drivers, whichs happens quite frequently in my area of town.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I am a big fan of the Golf R, I like it since the first time I saw in Monte-Carlo.

I never expected to see the car with a power of 500hp+, that would be nice to have as a daily car.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alzilla
That's a seriously bad-as v-dub! NICE!
Thank you

Originally Posted by bmw power
btw, how is the turbo lag? Do you experience any kind of torque steer when using launch control? How does the revised haldex system benefit over the stock one?
Normally on this type of turbo, or the equivalent turbos in it's series, it should be on full boost somewhere at 4200rpm. But thanks to the awesome exhaust manifold, and the larger intake manifold, i have a very good airflow. Now i'm at full boost at 4000rpm. The car starts making boost from 3000rpm,1bar more precisely - 400HP, which is very good.
It's very easy to drive it to town. No matter the rpm, no matter the gear, it really drives easy and it responses very good.
Of course it's not compared to a car with smaller turbo, but for what turbo lag i was expecting, i was surprised.

As for the upgraded Haldex. The upgrade was made only to the Haldex's ECU. The stock ECU didn't allow me to send more power to the rear wheels. Now with the HPA Upgrade, i have 3 settings:
Stock: the Haldex acts as normal and don't send a lot of power to the rears, only in needed cases
Sport: send more power to the rear and more quickly than before. This is for on the track, it eliminated a little bit of the understeer.
Eco: this is for long driving distances, when you don't need the AWD very much, so to the rears the minimum amount of power is sent. 5% from what they claim.

If i had a Torsen mechanical differential like Audi RS4, A4, etc has, the power distibution would be 40% front - 60% rear. But the Haldex being a pretty much electronical demanded one, we can play with the power sent to the rears. Of course it's not as good as a Subaru 4wd system.
The Haldex system was installed only on cars with traverse engine displacement: Audi RS3, Audi S3, Audi TT, Audi TTRS, Audi A3, Golf.

Originally Posted by h82bslow
Novel approach there with that much power in a GTI...especially after having an accident.

But with all that power and money well=spent into the upgrades, am I the only one here who thinks it would have been better if you had spent just SOME of that cash on a driving/racing school that taught you car control? Maybe?

That being said, I've been certified. And if you are, by all means I take back what I said. Your posts are indeed in depth, but if you spent this much time documenting your builds throw in some proof you know how to drive it all too... Again, I may have my foot in my mouth, but I hate to see great cars ruined by incapable drivers, whichs happens quite frequently in my area of town.
I have professional driving courses, here in Romania they are called Defensive Driving Techniques.
The accident was made because of a drunk man on a bycicle. I had to avoid him in last minute, and the car got some sand under the wheels and that's why i lost control.
I never had another accident in my life. I haven't detailed the accident in the first post because i thought it wasn't that important.
Some accidents just cannot be avoided, and everybody knows that. The fact that someone has finished a driving school doesn't mean that he will not have an accident in his life. As i said earlier, some accidents cannot be avoided . So i'm glad that me and my fiance are OK, the car was repaired faultless, life goes on.
There is no need to take your words back because i would ask the same question. With that power, everybody needs to improve their driving skills. Especially if you go on a track. Things happen really fast so you need to train your brain to response twice as fast as it was doing it.

PS: it's a GTI, it's a Golf R. The GTI has FWD, the R is AWD. The GTI has a smaller turbo from factory than the R. The GTI has also smaller brakes than the R, and some other minor differences.

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I am a big fan of the Golf R, I like it since the first time I saw in Monte-Carlo.

I never expected to see the car with a power of 500hp+, that would be nice to have as a daily car.
Thank you very much MeanMachine. I use it only at night, when the traffic is not that intense, in this way i can enjoy the car.

Last edited by TEFF; 12-11-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TEFF

The accident was made because of a drunk man on a bycicle
loooool

now thats a first

Last edited by tips; 12-11-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tips
loooool

now thats a first
Yep. 50% is my fault because i had high speed and it was night, 50% it's his fault because when i was near him he wobbled on the bicycle and i had to avoid him suddenly, and the car lost grip on sand.
It was sand on the road because it was winter, and the crappy Romanian Road Authorities throw sand combined with salt on the road so that snow won't "stay" on asphalt

Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PS: sorry for my English. I meant "bicycle" instead of "bycicle"

Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by bmw power
.... Do you experience any kind of torque steer when using launch control?....
I appologize for not answering to this, i forgot.
I haven't experienced torque at all. I mean if it has, it's nothing violent at all

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jayb289 is on a distinguished roadjayb289 is on a distinguished roadjayb289 is on a distinguished road
awesome build mate. beats the usual exhaust and drop mod lol

Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
What an great build! Fantastic colour and car too
Please keep us updated!

PS. Welcome to the team!

Quick Reply: VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm