Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Moose is on a distinguished roadMoose is on a distinguished roadMoose is on a distinguished road
VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm

This is a write up from my friend Teff:

Hello everybody,

My name is Stefan, everybody knows me as TEFF, and among other cars a own a 2010 Golf R with DSG Gearbox, 270HP, 4wd. This car i love the most because i've personalized it a lot. Here is it's story.

It all began in November 2010. I saw it at VW Dealership, i loved it, and 5 days later it was mine.

Being a fan of tuning, i've decided to upgrade the car.

First was a Stage 1 from Revo Technik (been working with them for over 3 years and top quality remaps).
It made 320HP & 420Nm.

VW Golf R20 Launch Control, Revo Technik Stage 1 - YouTube

Then winter came and it was time for some smaller wheels. I bought 17" MSW wheels.

One month later more parts arrived: Milltek Turboback exhaust, APR High Pressure Fuel Pump, THS Intercooler

Then, on 1st of January, i was with my fiance when at 140km/h i had an accident with the car. I met some sand on the road and the car slipped and we got into a ditch at 140km/h. Really scary experience.

Sent the car at VW Dealership for repair, and 1 month later, it was like new.

While the car was in service for repair, i've taken the interior to an upholstery shop so that i can change stock fabric seats. So i've chosen Black Leather with Black Alcantara + Blue stitching.

When i took the car from VW, an upgraded Cold Air Intake arrived: ITG Maxogen Intake. So i've installed it on the car, and moved to Stage 2+ from Revo Technik: 370HP & 475Nm.

VW Golf R20 Launch Control with Revo Technik Stage 2+ - YouTube

With more power, a brake upgrade was urgent. So i've ordered AP Racing Competition Brake kit: 362x32mm rotor with 6-piston Caliper. After 4 months of waiting, they arrived.

Stock brakes:

AP Racing kit:

Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Moose is on a distinguished roadMoose is on a distinguished roadMoose is on a distinguished road
Next day after installing the brakes i was thinking: "Now i have these top brakes and so beautiful, but they are hidden behind massive OEM wheel". So i've ordered a set of new wheels: BBS RS-GT 19x8.5J ET46

In April 2011 i've decided to go BIG...big turbo. So in first phase i've ordered the following:

- BSH Work of Art turbo kit with Precision Turbo 5830 (new version of BSH kit)
- Tial External WasteGate
- Audi RS4 injectors
- HEP Stage 2 Intake Manifold (4 extra slots for fuel injectors, 4 extra slots for methanol injectors)
- AEM Water Methanol Injection System
- Turbosmart e-Boost 2 Boost Controller
- Ferrea +1mm valvetrain
- JE pistons & IE rods
- BSH Throttle Pipe
- BSH PCV Fix
- USP Motorsport low pressure fuel pump (in tank pump)
- Revo Stage 4

Parts ordered, just had to wait for them to arrive.

After the parts arrived, we started on the engine work.

OEM turbo:

New turbo (yummyyyyyy):

Left (Boost Controller) - Right (WaterMeth Controller)

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome build thread. Nice car you got there!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Wrapped the exhaust manifold in 6 layers of fireproof material.

The AP Racing brakes were made especially for hard track days, and i'm not going that often to a circuit, so i had to swap them with something more docile. So i bought Audi RS4 B7 brakes. But now i've encountered a new issue: I had to buy 15mm spacers so that the brakes can fit behind the wheels. This lead to another problem. The wheels now were wider then fender line. Solution came instantly: Kerscher Tuning wider front fenders: +25mm wider.

I had to made custom exhaust to help with the airflow:

We first finished the car without upgrading the engine internals and DSG internals. So the car made with Stage 4: 460HP & 524Nm

Revo Stage4 Mk6 Golf R 2.0 TFSI - Develompent - YouTube

Next i've bought some extra parts: 4 x Recaro Sportster CS (will tell you later), DSG Paddles Extensions, HPA Motorsport Haldex Controller.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, didn't see the 2nd post. Clearly you don't mess around.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Now we are in July 2011. We started Phase 2: Upgrading Engine Internals, Ferrea valvetrain, Suspension, DSG internals and software. The DSG was sent in Germany to HGP Turbo and received their race clutchpack, and new software with the following:

- Launch Control raised from 3200rpm to 5000rpm
- Rev Limit raised to 8000rpm
- Torque limit removed
- Shifting time improved

The work was finished 2 months ago and the final results are: 586HP & 618Nm

REVO STG 4 Mk6 Golf R 2.0 TFSI on the rollers - 586 Bhp and 618 Nm - YouTube

Winter came and had to order new wheels: Team Dynamics ProRace 1.3 18x8.5J ET35.

In Spring, Phase 3 will begin:

- new High Pressure Fuel Pump
- 4 extra fuel injectors installed on the Intake Manifold
- 4 extra water-methanol injectors installed on the Intake Manifold
- 1 extra ECU to control the extra injectors
- 1 extra fuel pump to provide the needed fuel to the extra injectors.

With all these parts, we can raise the boost on the car, and fueling, so that the power will be somewhere beetween 650-700HP.

I've decided that this winter i won't drive the car, but instead i will upgrade it's interior (again). Will be something unique: 4 seats (remember the earlier 4 Recaro seats), dashboard modified with a central console until beetween rear seats.

And now the best of the best: i will also change the audio installation and install what i consider to be the best speaker system in the world of car audio: Micro-Precision Z-Studio speakers (tweeters, mid-bass, low,sub-woofer); Alpine INA-W910 headunit, Dynamit soundproof layers. So, everything will be custom. Will keep you updated.

Yesterday the car arrived at Interior Workshop:

auch...this is tight

Inside the shop:

Thank you for your patience in reading this, and i will keep you updated on how the interior goes.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
Thank you Moose for posting this.

Thanks ADV.1 Tony. This car really it's special for me because i wanted a "pocket rocket" and making it very powerful.
At the moment the car does 0-60mph in under 4s, and top speed of 196mph.
After we finish the work in Spring, i hope to achieve 0-6mph in under 3.5s. Top speed will be for sure 200mph

Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nicebmw power is just really nice
I was just about to ask how your stock transmission is handling all that power until I saw your last post.

Golf 6 is such a great looking hatch, love your mods, looking forward to seeing your revised interior.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to beholdTEFF is a splendid one to behold
Thank you bmw power. The DSG gearbox can handle more than 800Nm of torque after it has been upgraded.
Also the suspension (Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilovers) helps me a lot in combination with the Haldex Controller.

The best part in using Launch Control at DSG is that it isn't as brutal as a manual gearbox. When you release the brake pedal, the power delivery it's smooth and you don't feel a bang in the back of your head like you would feel on a manual car when you release the clutch pedal.
So the transmission isn't stressed that much.
I've also upgraded the engine mounts to reduce engine movement that could cause severe damage to the turbo and other parts

Last edited by TEFF; 12-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor
I'm interested in your DSG build a lot. I plan on going big turbo on my 135i soon and I have a DCT transmission. I'd love to build it to handle this kind of power. Have you noticed a big difference in it's driveability?

Quick Reply: VW Golf R20 build thread: 755HP & 701Nm