Notices
General Automotive & SUV Forum Discussion Forum For All Other Auto Makes & General Trends In The Automotive Industry.

Newb Here with a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
newbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Newb Here with a question.

Hey everyone,
I have a few questions for you all. At the present time I'm building a Mercedes track car but utilizing Porsche suspension parts. I'm running 944ts front hubs and spindles along with the rear. I have a full set of Brembo grand turismo brakes for my setup. I talked to DYMAG and they said I could get a HRE center for a single application. I have been doing some searching and cannot find anywhere that sells the center-locking hub conversion. Where could I go to find a set or even rent or barrow one so I can make myself. Also has anyone mounted a second caliper on the rear for a parking brake? I am building a custom rear end. Basically taking a fabricated ford 9 and cutting it all the way down and mounting it in a custom subframe. I will mount the Porsche rears "inboard". Because the 9" is in a subframe and cut down, where the axle flange comes out I'm going to have custom half shafts made and I will do all the control arms basically making a independent for 9 rear Hopefully someone will let me rent a set of the Center-lock conversion's or let me know where I can buy them
Thanks again,
Kevin

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
newbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond reputenewbenz2 has a reputation beyond repute
Also If I researched it right they come off a 996 cup car?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Words cannot encompass the degree of lunacy with this build. I'm genuinely not sure if it will fall into the 'crazy like a fox' sense of the word, or the 'lock me up for my own protection' sense, but hats off to you for even attempting something that nutty!

I wish I could help with your specific request, but I'll just have to stand and look in in awe. Are you building this as a drift machine (using a caliper for the handbrake made me think of this)?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
It will be more of a autocross car but I still want to be able to drift If I want.. The car will be powered by a 800hp 2jz supra motor

Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
Originally Posted by newbenz2
It will be more of a autocross car but I still want to be able to drift If I want.. The car will be powered by a 800hp 2jz supra motor
mother of god u've completely lost it lol, althought honestly thats not really an ideal motor for autocross, now u can race this guy....

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The motor is a 3.4 stroker. It wont be lagguy and gives me allot of options to work with. Why wouldnt it be ideal? I realize that it is a cast Iron block but look at the front heavy e36 beemers... Those thigs weight more and are turds... beside the car should weigh less then 2400 pounds by the time im done..
Kevin
P.S. Why was this moved? I wanted to cup guys to give me some info on the centerlock convertions..

Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Kevin, I read back on some of your posts to try and figure out what your intent is; I understand, but I don’t. And please don’t take this wrong, I am trying to figure out some answers before anyone can answer the questions.

So the car is a 190? Correct?
At the present time I'm building a Mercedes track car but utilizing Porsche suspension parts. I'm running 944ts front hubs and spindles along with the rear.
Why? Why not beef up the merc suspension instead of installing the 944?
Where could I go to find a set or even rent or barrow one so I can make myself.
I don’t think I understand the question; I mean, I don’t think anyone on the planet would let you “rent” or “borrow” a set of center lock hubs. Once they are installed on the car, their yours, right?

Also has anyone mounted a second caliper on the rear for a parking brake?
Do you mean a third caliper? If so, it can be done, anything can be done, but that doesn’t mean that it should. The problem with that scenario, is the point from the “third” caliper to the outer would be extremely weak; not only for the drive axle, but you would need to fab a stub axle. A rear end is weak enough, but to make three half shafts from two = big can o’ worms and trouble.

Basically taking a fabricated ford 9 and cutting it all the way down and mounting it in a custom subframe. I will mount the Porsche rears "inboard". Because the 9" is in a subframe and cut down, where the axle flange comes out I'm going to have custom half shafts made and I will do all the control arms basically making a independent for 9 rear
Now I don’t understand if you want to use the Porsche rear, or the Ford 9; I will assume F9. Then you have a driveline and transmission that we don’t know about. Your going to need a monster of a tranny, if your talking about 800hp to that Ford 9” rear. The Mercedes just won’t cut it for the amount of torque involved.

I’m sure a mechanic could chime in and try and decode this a bit better than myself… Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for modding the sh*t out of something, but if you want to spend all this time and energy for a proper build, why not find yourself and ‘ol 996 and beef that up to cup car specs? The reason I ask, that sounds like what your really want. And for the time and money your putting in this project, might not be such a bad idea? OR, beef up your 190 suspension… I dunno where to start or stop. Best of luck, would really like to see this finished.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
The motor is a 3.4 stroker. It wont be lagguy and gives me allot of options to work with. Why wouldnt it be ideal? I realize that it is a cast Iron block but look at the front heavy e36 beemers... Those thigs weight more and are turds... beside the car should weigh less then 2400 pounds by the time im done..
Kevin
P.S. Why was this moved? I wanted to cup guys to give me some info on the centerlock convertions..
it was moved bc its a benz prob, but ne way thats too much power for an autocross car, a 2600lb 800hp car would never hookup or be competitive. also i think you should ask urself why ur doing this with this car, neijia brings up a lot of good points, i would put this time and money into a car thats going to have a class somewhere, in my personal opinion you should be looking for a 2004 GT3, 996 motors blow but gt3s stay together. it would be a cool car but if you actually do this the only thing itll be good for is bringing to SEMA shows for posers to oogle and drone on and on about. btw y 944 suspension, its freakin awful imo

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Neijia
Hi Kevin, I read back on some of your posts to try and figure out what your intent is; I understand, but I don’t. And please don’t take this wrong, I am trying to figure out some answers before anyone can answer the questions.

So the car is a 190? Correct?

Yes correct

Why? Why not beef up the merc suspension instead of installing the 944?

There is no options for the Merc suspension besides billsteins and H&Rs.

I don’t think I understand the question; I mean, I don’t think anyone on the planet would let you “rent” or “borrow” a set of center lock hubs. Once they are installed on the car, their yours, right?

Well the reason I asked this is because I cannot find any place that sells them nor is anyone helping me so I figured If I could find someone with a "spare" I could rent or barrow for a week and re engineer a set for me.

Now I don’t understand if you want to use the Porsche rear, or the Ford 9; I will assume F9. Then you have a driveline and transmission that we don’t know about. Your going to need a monster of a tranny, if your talking about 800hp to that Ford 9” rear. The Mercedes just won’t cut it for the amount of torque involved.

Why do you think the Mercedes wont cut the amount of Torque to make it go? We figured it out and it would be about 15 horsepower loss. Thats not that much parasitic loss in my eyes be cause I can have just about any gear combo I want. Also the Tranny is a R154 Getrag with a sequential dog box (PPG) installed in it.

Let me put this into view. My Friend has a 97 Eclipse with a 6bolt 4g63. The car is still AWD with the Transverse engine. He has the same rear end but not chopped down (Aluminum 3rd member, gun drilled pinion, lightened ring gear, 35 spline gun drilled axles) This car is powered by a 2.0 engine. We drive it at the strip and street and have no problems. If the 2.0 can power that the 3.4 will have no problem.
The car is not the cleanest but here are some pics of the eclipse. We are currently redoing the whole car and getting rid of everything it doesn't need.

I’m sure a mechanic could chime in and try and decode this a bit better than myself… Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for modding the sh*t out of something, but if you want to spend all this time and energy for a proper build, why not find yourself and ‘ol 996 and beef that up to cup car specs? The reason I ask, that sounds like what your really want. And for the time and money your putting in this project, might not be such a bad idea? OR, beef up your 190 suspension… I dunno where to start or stop. Best of luck, would really like to see this finished.

The Reason I went with the 190 Is I am in love with the Early 90's DTM cars. Please don't get offended by any of this I'm just stating my case

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Baron
it was moved bc its a benz prob, but ne way thats too much power for an autocross car, a 2600lb 800hp car would never hookup or be competitive. also i think you should ask urself why ur doing this with this car, neijia brings up a lot of good points, i would put this time and money into a car thats going to have a class somewhere, in my personal opinion you should be looking for a 2004 GT3, 996 motors blow but gt3s stay together. it would be a cool car but if you actually do this the only thing itll be good for is bringing to SEMA shows for posers to oogle and drone on and on about. btw y 944 suspension, its freakin awful imo
Benz problem? I was trying to see if anyone could help me find a place that sells the cup car single lug conversions.. Also the 800hp could be detuned jut by turning the boost down.. I built it to with stand 800 all day but it could be lowered but reducing the boost. Also I'm not trying to be competitive with the car. I want a car I can take to a open day and have fun on the street...
Kevin

Quick Reply: Newb Here with a question.