Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.
View Poll Results: Which do you think I should go for?
Option 1
78.43%
Option 2
21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Your opinion regarding garages

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
The only problem with that layout is you have nearly 40% of the floor space allocated to access to the remaining 60%. I am not an architect, and haven't a clue to how to do this better, but it seems like a lot of wasted space.
Nothing wasted.... I can park cars along the access. I just cannot show it on the plan... My wife will have my head if she saw 8 cars lined up plus maybe lifts

Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
I like it! You could always use the "access" area for more parking should you really need it in future.

Edit: Oops, just saw your last post Smart man!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute430berlinetta has a reputation beyond repute
Option 1 buddy, I think it'll look much cleaner. Also it is more useful for functions or events you might have. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
Past some of your comments to my guy for a quick draft drawing and this is what I got. To give you a sense of scale please note that each triangle is a 3x3x3 meter triangle

That area to the left is mislabeled… it should read lounge and the partitions should be glass.

Thoughts?
I hate to sound dumb, but where do you enter. I am assuming not where the patio is, so that would leave the white checkered portion. But to me that looks like a part of the house. My dad would be ashamed (as he builds custom homes)

Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm drawn more toward option 2.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I vote option 1

Old 12-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Love that garage ^^^^
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
I hate to sound dumb, but where do you enter. I am assuming not where the patio is, so that would leave the white checkered portion. But to me that looks like a part of the house. My dad would be ashamed (as he builds custom homes)

The drive way is between the garage and the house ending at the two parking spots to the right of the area labeled “store”. The entrance to the garage is the dotted line just below the “store”…

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on your home layout and the place you are putting it. Option 2 I chose because on the outside it looks a whole bunch classier. I wouldn't do individual bays on the inside though. Make them big. 9' MINIMUM wide doors with 10' heights and you can do your 10 meter wide with 3 bays or 6 bays wide on the 21 meter section. Go two deep and 6 wide with some nice Wood or Metal Doors and it will look 1000 times better than a barn. You can also pick and choose your entry points. Engineering will be tougher with the big interior spans but well worth it down the road when you end up with more than 10 cars

Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Thank you all once again...

Originally Posted by h20skier
Depends on your home layout and the place you are putting it...
The front entrance will have an area for a couple of cars… the side door is the one facing the garage area.
If you go back and have a look at the pic I posted you will notice two spots outside the garage for two DDs which will be about 8 meters from the side door and then the garage will come

Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
It doesn't have to be one or the other!

Anything more than 4 doors doesn't look pretty IMO, but having a warehouse with attached garage makes sense.

I wouldn't want to wrench or wash a car in the same space as other precious ones.

Always been a fan of carriage house style garages ... with a modern twist.

Add a similarly styled barn/warehouse next to that, and you're all set. Still looks great, and plenty of space.
Zorro can I ask where you got that bottom picture. It looks just like a garage a friend of mine built 1 mile from my house. Almost exact but he built it for equipment storage not boats and cars.

Gray I'm sorry I missed that the sketch was from you and thought it was someones suggestion. I also thought it was a Store front of some kind for a small dealership because of the "store" and "store" shown. I now understand it to be storage and you stated later the one should have read Lounge.

I think that floor plan would work great for 6 cars you will have some issues getting cars up top on lifts with the tighter quarters I feel. With only a car lenght to straighten them up you might have to raise the lift up and use the lower parking spot to straighten the car out. You also might have a tough time with the 3ft long ramps. If you can squeeze another chunk of space you might regret it with 6 lifts in that garage. Lifts are much easier running straight at them for sure. Otherwise looks great and when is the BBQ.

Quick Reply: Your opinion regarding garages