Notices
Garage Forum Learn about Garage Flooring, Custom Cabinetry, Doors, Lifts, Wall Wraps & More.

Need ideas for a new big garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I can't imagine. It took ya 4 days to post pics of that car

Definately looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Why not just use another Plane hangar next to your other one would be my question. Hangars are always nice and secure. Flat and Easy to get in and out of.
+1 on a hangar being a good idea but also not very original/fun to look at. Excited to see what you come up with Mike

Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
I can't believe I missed this thread, how is the progress coming along Mike?

Mike, have you thought of adding Vehicle exhaust removal system from the roof? perhaps have some with long enough hoses to extract the fumes when you do the start ups, you won't that many if its just for a routine startup, but for the work lift area, you can probably get something bigger.

Monoxivent Replacement Systems for Fire House Exhaust Removal
this is the basic concept, there are plenty of companies that offer this.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
nodnarb is an unknown quantity at this point
What about running a series of pipes with several removable caps in the concrete so when you park a car you can hookup the exhaust to the nearest cap. That way you don't have to have anything hanging from the celling

Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Chad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to allChad@VaultGarage is a name known to all
Hello Mike,

I just wrote a blog article about this topic just a few days ago (on our Facebook page). Before I copy and paste that article here, my first thought was to have your architects look into ventilation and de-humidity systems that are used in commercial buildings. Given the size of your building, a residential system may not adequately meet your needs.

One company that makes these kinds of systems that we have used in previous projects is a Madison, WI-based company called 'Thermastor'. You can learn about their residential ventilation products (which are useful in most home garages, but as I explained you may want to seek a commercial solution):

Residential Ventilation Products - Therma-Stor

Also, don’t understate the importance of removing humidity from your space. Moisture, more than any other element is a killer of cars and I would encourage you to seek out a ventilation system that can also maintain constant and low humidity levels.

Best of luck on your project. Perhaps some of the information contained here will have usefulness to someone.

Blog Article (Vault | Facebook

Extreme heat and humidity in the garage, where temperatures can easily climb up to 110 degrees or more in the summer, can create an uncomfortable space to work on weekend projects. Furthermore, the higher the temperature of your garage, the less effective your wall and attic insulation will be at stopping heat from entering your home.

Exhaust from your car or fumes from certain tasks can also accumulate in your garage, making it an unsafe place in your home. Not to mention it's dangerous to store some combustible home improvement supplies in a garage where temperatures are high. Add to this the heat from any cars that have been on the road and then are parked in the garage. Cars will radiate heat into the garage for hours after they are parked, trapping this heat inside the garage where you do not want it.

Ventilating your garage can go a long way to keeping your garage cooler in the summer (and warmer in the winter) and save money on energy costs, since the garage is the largest un-insulated space in your home. And, if you've got chemicals – particularly combustible fluids, like gasoline, oil and turpentine -- in this enclosed space, proper ventilation is a must to removing these harmful fumes from your home.

For maximum air exchange, shutter fans are highly effective at removing unwanted moisture, odors and fumes by refreshing the garage with clean outside air while lowering temperatures in the garage and attic. These fans feature louvered shutters to either draw cool outside air through the intake or exhaust hot air through a motorized shutter fan.

Shutter fans can be used alone (relying on the intake of the automatic vents) or together with a shutter or motorized intake to create cross ventilation. Most shutter fans are easy to set-up and can be wired to a thermostat to operate if the temperature reaches a certain level or power-on through the use of a power switch. Or, they fans can wired with a timer to run for certain periods of time and then turn off.

Fans can be mounted either on a side-wall exiting the garage (ideally on the opposite wall as the garage door) or designed to mount in the ceiling of the garage, venting to either the attic or to the outside. The best location for ventilation fans is opposite the garage door, mounted high on the wall or on the ceiling. Ceiling fans are good choices garages with high ceilings (12’ feet or higher), whereas wall units are good for low-ceiling areas. Determine what works best for your needs depending on the size of your room.

When shopping for a shutter fan, you will need one that can move at least 1,000 cubic feet of air per minute (>1000 CFM Air Flow). One additional feature you may want to consider is a fire damper that automatically closes in the event of a garage fire, so the fan does not feed a garage fire with air.

If you purchase a solar fan (more commonly used in atticts), it may qualify for a 30% federal tax credit as defined by the Emergency Stabilization Act of 2009, which extended the credits available for solar-powered energy systems and expanded the qualifying product requirements. Qualified photovoltaic systems are currently eligible for the tax credit which were purchased and installed after January 1, 2009 (this federal tax credit is scheduled to be in effect through December 31, 2016).

As currently defined, the tax credit applies to both the purchase and installation cost of qualified photovoltaic system. Customers should retain a copy of their sales receipt, labor costs associated with installation, and the manufacturer certification statement for their tax records. For more information on this federal tax credit, you should consult IRS Form 5695 or your local tax professional.

Here is a link to the residential tax credit form:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf

To find shutter fans for sale, here is a link to some manufacturers who sell them:

"shutter fan" - Google Product Search

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed, mike is my hero

Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Damn a full year with nothing.

If he weren't jet setting around the World in one of his 8 jets He'd probably have this done by now.

Until then. I'll assume he's got a big tent ( Circus type ) perched on some hill in some foreign land and I'll assume it's Pink and White with little Dancing girls..........This I assume until I see Proof

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
Damn a full year with nothing.

If he weren't jet setting around the World in one of his 8 jets He'd probably have this done by now.

Until then. I'll assume he's got a big tent ( Circus type ) perched on some hill in some foreign land and I'll assume it's Pink and White with little Dancing girls..........This I assume until I see Proof
lol
Mike is prob waiting until its complete to show some pictures.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
lol
Mike is prob waiting until its complete to show some pictures.
he's probably had his feet up at the 50 yard line of the last 50 soccer games. forgot he was even building a garage

Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
A teaser would be nice though!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the in depth information you have supplied Chad. I'll keep that in mind with my next meeting and the professional team working on this project.

Hahaha Mark You've seen some of the progress that has already started. Shhhhhhh

I'll post teasers when they are worthwhile. At the moment it just looks like cleared area with lots of bulldozers on it

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a new big garage