Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

MacBook Air gets the unboxing treatment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Carb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Craigger
thats the only thing thats limiting to me. I can get a usb hub to deal with the 1 usb port, which would in turn take care of optical/Ethernet (even though Im on airport 99.9% of the time).

Apples love ram, and without the possibility to get up to 4 gb in 2 years time, Im going to have to pass.
With 2GB of RAM in a computer like the Macbook Air, that is plenty. I upgraded my iMac from 1GB to 4GB and truthfully, I didn't see a dramatic increase of zippyness(is that a word? lol) I mean, it was worth the 100 bucks I guess, but don't let the RAM limitations keep you from getting the Air. Some guys did tests on the MBP and MBA and they opened 4 applications, it took well over 1 minute to load on the MBP and about 11 seconds on the Air.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carb0n Fiber
With 2GB of RAM in a computer like the Macbook Air, that is plenty. I upgraded my iMac from 1GB to 4GB and truthfully, I didn't see a dramatic increase of zippyness(is that a word? lol) I mean, it was worth the 100 bucks I guess, but don't let the RAM limitations keep you from getting the Air. Some guys did tests on the MBP and MBA and they opened 4 applications, it took well over 1 minute to load on the MBP and about 11 seconds on the Air.
when I went from 768 - 1.5 on my powerbook it was night and day, so I guess it differs on each computer

link?
Im going to have to guess the air had the SSD drive...

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Im going to have to guess the air had the SSD drive...
2nd this...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Carb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the roughCarb0n Fiber is a jewel in the rough
To tell you the truth, I am looking frantically and cannot find where I found the link to that video. Trust me, the air blew the MBP out of the water. I mean 11 seconds! the MBP took over a minute! If I do come across it, I will be post it up. sorry.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Im sure in certain conditions, it might do that, but thats like saying a Civic can do a burnout faster than an M5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVrZ...eature=related

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
I'll wait for the new MBP

Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Russ
I'll wait for the new MBP
good call. only way I would order the Air is if I had a 24inch iMac in front of me to order off of.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
good call. only way I would order the Air is if I had a 24inch iMac in front of me to order off of.
Yep, MacBookAir isn't a replacement to anything, just an addition

Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
that's exactly what the air will be, in addition to my iMac.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Just came across the links I mentioned earlier.

MacBook Pro (about 1:30)
http://qik.com/video/14849

MacBook Air (11 seconds):
http://qik.com/video/14862

Quick Reply: MacBook Air gets the unboxing treatment