Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Should I consider a 10.1 over the ipad2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
Should I consider a 10.1 over the ipad2?

i am finally in the market for one of those tablet thingies, and 80% of the time it will be as a reader. i am primarily leaning towards the ipad2 because i have been an iphone user for 1.5yrs, HOWEVER, here are some things that i need you to please help me with my decision

1. since i want it for arabic books primarily, most of the time i will be reading them as .pdf
is there anything i need to know/be aware of with this? any hiccups?

2. video playback: will an ipad2 not play .avi out of the box?
will a 10.1 play .avi out of the box?

3. if i connect the 10.1 to my pc via the usb, will i be able to add/delete files from it as if it were an external hd?
or would i have to do it as with Apple and iTunes?

4. ms office, can i use the ipad to view, use, and edit a Word/PP/Excel file? i understand this comes with the 10.1 out of the box

5. extra memory, i understand the 10.1 has a memory card slot so does the ipad2 lose here?

i will go for a 64gb version, and don't care about 3g as i will only use it for online if there is wifi available.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
What is a 10.1??

Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
boursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond reputeboursachi has a reputation beyond repute
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Ah. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the iPad2 and nothing beats it in terms of usability but if I were to look for an Android based tablet then it'd be the new eeE Transformer Prime. It's the first to use the new Tegra chipset from nVidia and will feature the new Ice Cream android OS too. But in the meantime I can't praise the iPad 2 enough.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
iPad 2 is honestly amazing. I really like the Samsung 10.1 but I would personally take the iPad 2 over it any day. Honeycomb still feels slower in comparison to iOS 5.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JT and Jeff, thanks guys!
as ipad 2 users can you please answer those questions?

1. can i play .avi format on it? from my rough research, i need to download an app that supports it (VLC? cinemax?) and then open the vids from there?

2. can i view and work on Word/Excel/Powerpoint files?

from my rough research, i can conclude the ipad2 has better battery life as well

Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
You do need to download VLC to view AVI files, yes. No big deal, honestly. I just tested to see if it can open doc/xls/ppt files and they all open just fine. I also think that from what I've seen, the iOS is probably the most "polished" out of all the tablet OS out there including the WebOS too.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
excellent, thanks JT!
the .avi is no biggie, i just hope getting it on the ipad is just a matter of dragging it into iTunes without any mods or conversions because i suck at that thing eg i never had a custom ringtone on my iphone lol

great on the MS office files too, i dont need to work on them as much as i need to view/review them for students if i keep the ipad with me at relaxed social gatherings where i can get some work done

thanks guys, i think i will go shopping very soon
what is the max i should pay for a 64GB ipad2?

kuwaiti members: where should i go?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Long time no talk I personally think the 10.1 is a great piece of hardware. We have iPads and love them! Plus the most important thing is apps and the App Store is the largest. You have an iPhone so they can be buddies So many times I have wanted to use my laptop or desktop to look something up but didn't want to turn it on. BAM! The iPad is right there, it's so convenient.

Last edited by 65°V12; 11-12-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I consider a 10.1 over the ipad2?