Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Is the PS3 still considered to be a quality stand-alone BD player?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Teamspeed Member
dwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond repute
Is the PS3 still considered to be a quality stand-alone BD player?

Had one of the early Sony BD players. It was extremely slow and finally just crapped out. I'd like to replace it and, while I wouldn't mind buying just a player, a PS3 may be more exciting. Picture quality is important, but I don't want to wait 5-10 minutes (seemingly) for the thing to load. All thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I got my MIL an Oppo BDP-83, and if I had to do it again, I would buy it for myself.

The PS3 fan is so loud that it's just distraction, and the Oppo is just as fast, and it has analog out for all the high definition audio decoding for people without HDMI audio in, like her Rotel receiver.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a newer Sony BR player, with all of the internet/streaming features. They are worth the $200 IMO.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
I still have one of the early Sony BD players, and God it's slow. We just picked a Samsung up from Costco yesterday for about $150, and it loads a disc and brings up the menu in about 5 seconds. It's literally 20-30x faster than the Sony. I need to A/B them for picture quality, but unless it's a degradation from 2-year old technology, I'll be ditching the Sony in a second.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Just make sure and use HDMI cables. I got some from Best Buy that are made by a company called Cinnamon. I was going to get some more expensive ones, but the sales guy pulled me aside and recommended those, and they were a lot cheaper.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
I have one of the newer PS3s and I can say the BR player works great. And I can't hear the fan at all

Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
All wires should be purchased on monoprice.com .

You can get gold plated HDMI's for like $1. [I haven't purchased in a while, so that may be a slight exaggeration].

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
I've wondered this. I wanted to buy my dad one, but couldn't be bothered to do the research yet. I would ask over on AVForums.com

This forum has some electronics elitists. (No one in this thread yet)

Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DchaMD
I've wondered this. I wanted to buy my dad one, but couldn't be bothered to do the research yet. I would ask over on AVForums.com

This forum has some electronics elitists. (No one in this thread yet)
I'm no electronic elitist but I can tell you when something works or not

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
What are you talking about? The guy asked if it was a quality player.

Quick Reply: Is the PS3 still considered to be a quality stand-alone BD player?