Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

65" is so 2010, try 72"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by stuka
It's still a dead technology, and you have to control ambient lights.

Not to mention, a 150" plasma probably weighs a few hundred pounds.
OLED

Dead technology? So will LED/Backlit tv eventually. And don't forget when the picture is what matters, Plasma still beats backlit tv's. And how often do you lift your tv?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O2Supply
OLED

Dead technology? So will LED/Backlit tv eventually. And don't forget when the picture is what matters, Plasma still beats backlit tv's. And how often do you lift your tv?
You like plasma, that's fine. Many of us don't like to worry about ambient light, or leaving a black text over white background word document working from home on the couch via a wireless mouse/keyboard. or have to setup screen saver to come on. And a five hundred pound plasma display probably use more juice than my entire AV setup combined for no good reason, when the LED's use a fraction of that.

I never said LED backlit will not be replaced by OLED. Because they are converging. At one point the technology will be there for one LED element per pixel. It's just a question of which happens first, that or cheap OLED.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Ambient light.
With cheap projectors yes, there are projectors that work great with ambient light and are as good or better than any LED on the market.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O2Supply
I can beat that.

Panasonic 150 inch Plasma. 4k resolution. Announced last year no less. There is also a 103 inch version if you want that.

If you don't know what that means- resolutions of 4096×2160. In contrast to 1080P which is 1920x1080.

those panels suck. if you are willing to spend that kinda money to have a large image you should look at a highend projector

Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christian
With cheap projectors yes, there are projectors that work great with ambient light and are as good or better than any LED on the market.
Hmm, sounds very interesting.

Please do tell.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Hmm, sounds very interesting.

Please do tell.
Projection Design makes 2 projectors with dual lamps, i have sold 2 of each, the small one is about $38k, the bigger one about $60k, they have the best image I have ever seen

Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
those panels suck. if you are willing to spend that kinda money to have a large image you should look at a highend projector
What part of the panel is bad? I was just commenting that size is a factor, yes. However, size is relative and 72 inches isn't the biggest baddest thing out there.

You like plasma, that's fine. Many of us don't like to worry about ambient light, or leaving a black text over white background word document working from home on the couch via a wireless mouse/keyboard. or have to setup screen saver to come on. And a five hundred pound plasma display probably use more juice than my entire AV setup combined for no good reason, when the LED's use a fraction of that.

I never said LED backlit will not be replaced by OLED. Because they are converging. At one point the technology will be there for one LED element per pixel. It's just a question of which happens first, that or cheap OLED.
I am right with you on that. Plasma uses lots of power. Its literally burning noble gases to make plasma thereby emitting light, so I would expect it to be an energy hog. Again For what it's worth, there is no current best at everything TV.

Plasma still has the best dark image representations. LCD is getting better yes. Plasma is still better in this regard.

If you believe there will be a problem where extraneous light will glare there are potentially better choices out there than plasma.

If you want the biggest freakin' screen projectors would probably be best.

My point is, nothing beats everything. But understand that somethings might work better in different situations and worse in others. And everyone has a different situation.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^all of the panny large plasmas 150", 103", 85", etc has a shitty pic when you look at the price paid. If you or anyone else is serious about a large image and willing to spend $40k+ you need a highend projector.

Most people believe you have to have a pitch black room when using a projector, that's not the case

Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
^all of the panny large plasmas 150", 103", 85", etc has a shitty pic when you look at the price paid. If you or anyone else is serious about a large image and willing to spend $40k+ you need a highend projector.

Most people believe you have to have a pitch black room when using a projector, that's not the case
I agree. I think the 103 inch starts above 60k. Which is obnoxious. For smaller than 60 I would currently go for plasma. Until OLED comes. Bigger I would go with projector.

I dont have the room for something that big though. Room size constraint in my apartment.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Curvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeCurvejunkie has a reputation beyond repute
At what point is big to big? I am serious when i ask that? I have a 65" plasma and it is gigantic, even with a large room. I am all for bigger better TV's, but 70/80+ inch TV's?

Quick Reply: 65" is so 2010, try 72"