Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Where do you enter the promo code to get the GameStop cars?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Craigger is right, this game is AWESOME. I don't know what crack you other guys are on, or you must be some kind of closet video game geeks that count pixels in your spare time...

I played GT5: Prologue last night just as a reminder. This plays JUST LIKE THAT but 100x better - more cars, more tracks, customization, etc. etc. The ONLY thing I don't like, and I emphasize ONLY is the lack of Porsche and RUF cars. That's it.

Here's what's good about it:

1) The graphics are awesome. Go off in the grass and grass flies. Hit a curb a little high, sparks fly. Brake hard deep into the apex, watch backfires from your exhaust. I could care less about the whole premium/standard nonsense since I usually drive the cars from the 3rd person view (I like looking at the cars, not the dash).

2) The physics are the same as every other Gran Turismo (which is good in my opinion). Maybe you guys are terrible drivers, but I haven't had any issues. My first car is a '76 Mk1 GTI. I spent the rest of my $20K ($12K after the car purchase) on upgrades and they were noticeable. Car spinning a tire coming out of the corner? Buy a limited slip diff. Problem solved. No traction in corners? Buy the medium sports tires. Done. What's the issue here? You guys need to quit playing ARCADE if you're expecting any realism.

3) The leveling/licensing/cash system is much less annoying than in the past. In GT5, you can actually race several events without needing a license at all. I scored almost all golds on the B-level license (just started A-level). Right now I'm finishing off the beginner tier races and I've hit level 6 and have $50K (along with some win cars/carts).

4) I was worried about the lack of so many big-name cars from the manufacturers (i.e. no Vanquish, no Diablo, etc.) until I checked the used cars. HELLO! All kinds of hotness for sale. Plus I am certain Polyphony has got a couple car packs in the waiting to (admittedly) clean up on suckers like me who want MORE. I am stoked the Scuderia, C63, Zonda R, and RS6 Avant are in this game.

5) There is a lot of customization available. Not as much as Forza, but still good. Paint, wheels, mods, etc. - all there. You can even change the music soundtrack (another minor quibble - who wants elevator music?) with your own music.

All in all, it's what I expected, and I had fairly high expectations. I love this game. I'm sorry those of you who hate it are so damn critical. Seems like everything on this site from Top Gear USA to the Cayman R to Gran Turismo 5 sucks. I'm glad I don't see it that way... and I'm usually not the optimist. YMMV
Meet me online and I'll drive circles around you old man
(ducks for cover)

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Where do you enter the promo code to get the GameStop cars?
Press the PS button - go to "Account Management" then "Redeem Codes" - bingo.

BTW, you CAN have a green Lambo. You just take it to the paint shop... Brilliant, huh?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't done any actual racing yet but I'm slowly getting my groove back. It's been over 2 years since I've played a Gran Turismo game so I'm still getting back into the swing of things. I'm making progress through the licenses and actually having quite a bit of fun doing it! I think once I get into the racing, it'll get even better! As others have mentioned, the sounds are pretty digitized and not at all realistic, but the graphics are OK (not as good as I expected though).

What are the premium cars everyone is talking about?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Premium cars are the ones with a ton more detail and modeled interiors. You can tell when you go to your garage and see them broken down by Premium, Standard, etc.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Press the PS button - go to "Account Management" then "Redeem Codes" - bingo.

BTW, you CAN have a green Lambo. You just take it to the paint shop... Brilliant, huh?
Thanks!

I've gotta say Chris, I'm with you on this game being awesome. I've only been playing for an hour or two (OK, more like 4 hours!) but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

I made a comment earlier about the load times being atrocious but the more the game installs itself along the way, the shorter the times seem to be. I'm looking forward to playing this game for a looooong time to come.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by burnzie
I pre-ordered it but didn't get the collectors edition. Both codes seem unrelated to each other though, one coming with the collectors edition from Polyphony, and one coming with the pre-order from Gamestop so I think they should both work.
Yes you get both.

Only problem I see with this game is how long it took to produce. But I can tell you that I for one am happy to have it in my home

Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Chris, so far this game is great. I'm not sure what people were crying about. Load times are fine for me, everything loads up in under 30 seconds, yes I clocked it. I have no problems driving at all, and the only gripe I have with this game so far is the "thumping" sound when another car bumps into me.

Or should I complain about 2d trees?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Yea but Chris liked Black Ops too and while I think this will be way better than that piece of shit I'm not sure your opinion can be valid

And are you telling me you liked TopGearUSA?!?!?!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Installing now. Let's see how long it takes...

Quick Reply: The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread