Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

iPod-ready 2-channel x 2 room music system for under $600?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
iPod-ready 2-channel x 2 room music system for under $600?

My parents, who aren't audiophiles, need to put a 2-channel music system in 2 rooms (total of four speakers, playing the same music). They were considering putting a Bose Wave in one room and just cranking it up a bit for parties/etc.

The Bose Wave + iPod dock is $600. It seems to be there has to be a way to get a decent iPod-compatible and four decent bookshelf speakers for around that price. However, I'm not knowledgeable about any brands that offer much at that price (none of you may be either). Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Andrew

Bose and Sony are both coming out with multi-room and wireless products.

The Sony store in Palo Alto has some setup but they sounded like crap to me. I have yet to test the Bose wireless system.

Another idea is to have a central music system (ipod or HD) that streams through wifi and played through existing entertainment system. more expensive and complicated.

I'd go with Bose. When it comes to boombox type of stereo, few do it better.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
Hi Andrew

Bose and Sony are both coming out with multi-room and wireless products.

The Sony store in Palo Alto has some setup but they sounded like crap to me. I have yet to test the Bose wireless system.

Another idea is to have a central music system (ipod or HD) that streams through wifi and played through existing entertainment system. more expensive and complicated.

I'd go with Bose. When it comes to boombox type of stereo, few do it better.
Hey David, whats up. Yah, I figure the Sony and Bose wireless systems will be more show than go. I'll keep poking around, but it seems to be I'd be able to get a relatively cheap receiver (doesn't need to decode DTS Master Audio or anything) and some reasonably priced bookshelf speakers. The problem is most stereo receivers only power two channels - only the more expensive home theater receivers typically have two zones.

Last edited by Andrew; 11-18-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think your parents would want a compact and neat package. Which is where a typical stereo setup doesn't work as well. Better go test out these setups at best buy. They are doing a 10% off this weekend for their reward zone customers. I am shopping for a ipod system myself.