Notices
Gadgets & Electronics | Home Theater | Gaming The Latest in Electronics, Home Theater, Gaming, PDA's, GPS, Computers, & More Discussion Forum.

Input on "budget" home theater

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Input on "budget" home theater

I used to have a great home theater system (Rotel receiver/DVD player, Aperion speakers, TaraLabs cables), and I miss the feeling of great audio while watching movies. I have a 42" Panny plasma, and while I'd love to go big budget, I have trouble justifying big purchases like this right now.

So, I'm looking at the following setup:

Mirage Omnisat Prestige speakers:
Nanosat® Prestige 5.1 Home Theater System - Overview (Vanns has these for $950 shipped, no tax)

Denon AVR-789:
Denon USA | AVR-789

I think this will be a great setup, especially with the Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio support. I wouldn't mind spending less though if I could, since we don't watch a ton of movies that really make surround sound shine.

Any suggestions, or does this look pretty good? For cables I'd probably just get something cheap from Blue Jeans.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought the Onkyo S6100 from Vann's. I didn't need the TrueHD/DTSHD as I have a PS3, but I got it over the matching Samsung AS720T anyways.

The only weakness it has is a lack of pre out.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dynamic
I just bought the Onkyo S6100 from Vann's. I didn't need the TrueHD/DTSHD as I have a PS3, but I got it over the matching Samsung AS720T anyways.

The only weakness it has is a lack of pre out.
I have a PS3 as well - I'm 99% sure it can send TrueHD and DTSHD over LPCM (just no bitstream). I know the Denon can take a 5.1/7.1 LPCM stream, so it should work.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Andrew
I have a PS3 as well - I'm 99% sure it can send TrueHD and DTSHD over LPCM (just no bitstream).
It can, I was just making a point that I paid a premium for a receiver with a major feature I didn't need (TrueHD/DTS-HD).

Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Gaming Guru
cleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't go with that Denon receiver. Since Denon has got more popular recently they started manufacturing their "Lower-end" models in China versus their higher quality brethren made in Japan.

I was about to buy the 789 as well but I was at Bay Bloor Radio and they had a 789 & some high end Denon in for repair or something and showed me the differences. Then he showed the differences between the 789 and a similarly priced Yamaha receiver. I went for the Yamaha and use my PS3 to decode all the different audio types.

Something to think about!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by cleanme
I wouldn't go with that Denon receiver. Since Denon has got more popular recently they started manufacturing their "Lower-end" models in China versus their higher quality brethren made in Japan.

I was about to buy the 789 as well but I was at Bay Bloor Radio and they had a 789 & some high end Denon in for repair or something and showed me the differences. Then he showed the differences between the 789 and a similarly priced Yamaha receiver. I went for the Yamaha and use my PS3 to decode all the different audio types.

Something to think about!
Great input, thanks for the info. Which Yamaha model do you have? I suppose you and Dynamic are correct that I don't need a receiver that does TrueHD/DTSHD, only one that supports 5.1 LPCM over HDMI. I hadn't thought about that for some reason, I was still thinking I needed TrueHD support.

Last edited by Andrew; 02-20-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I have heard nothing but great things about Yamaha receivers. I chose Onkyo because I wanted to go the in-a-box route for my bedroom.

Check out this Onkyo receiver, THX, 7.1 w/ pre-out, 1080p upscaling, 4 HDMI ports that can take the LPCM from the PS3, and has all of the HD codecs even though you don't need them.

Onkyo TX-SR706 - THXâ„¢ Select2 Plusâ„¢ Certified HDMI v1.3a 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

EDIT: You can get it for $540 too, granted I paid $550 for a similar receiver minus THX and the pre-out, and it came with 7 speakers and a sub. I got the S6100 set.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dude, that's hilarious. I was JUST coming here to post what you guys thought about the 706 .

Looks like that might be the one to get!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Teamspeed Gaming Guru
cleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond reputecleanme has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the Yamaha one I have:

Yamaha 7.1 HTR6080

I blew my budget on my 65" Sharp Aquos & Axiom speakers so the receiver didn't get much attention. That said, I have no intention of replacing it! Works great, more features than I can handle, solid, reliable - I'm happy

Quick Reply: Input on "budget" home theater