Notices
Ferrari Super Cars Ferrari Enzo, FXX, F50, F40, & More Discussion Forum.

Autoexpress: Enzo Successor gets production green light

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Autoexpress: Enzo Successor gets production green light

There are plenty of statements that sounds fishy in this article, but while we are in the total lack of information about this Ferrari, I thought I should share this article:

New Enzo confirmed

Lightweight F70 gets production green light, hypercar hits 200mph, and hybrid is on the way

The new F70 is go! Ferrari has exclusively confirmed to Auto Express that it will definitely build the ultra-light carbon fibre supercar previewed by the 2007 Millechili (1,000kg) concept.

It could be on sale from as early as next year, and will use the 562bhp, mid-mounted V8 from the latest 458 Italia, with the likely addition of twin turbochargers. The newcomer will also borrow the aerodynamics and carbon fibre and aluminium honeycomb body materials from the 2002 Enzo supercar.

“This model won’t be as big as the Enzo,” said Roberto Fedeli, Ferrari’s technical director, “more in line with the 328 or the old model [288] GTO. Theoretically, this is a practical car.” Weighing only one tonne, the F70 should top 200mph and sprint from 0-60mph in three seconds flat. It will be faster than the 458 but also, in line with the project’s emission-cutting aims, more economical. Combined fuel returns could be as high as 25mpg, and better than the 458’s 21.2mpg.

There’s no word on price, but expect it to be around £350,000.

The parallel development of a hybrid model – using Ferrari’s F1 Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS), and previewed by the 599 HY-KERS set-up at March’s Geneva Motor Show – is causing some technical headaches. “The most important thing is to lose weight,” said Fedeli of the system. “We’re trying to cut 80kg out of the car and 20kg out of the hybrid drivetrain. It’s difficult.”

New Enzo confirmed | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like it ought to be a good value for a top-tier Ferrari, despite not being quite up to par with the Enzo.

Actually, looking at the specs.... it seems like the MP4-12C will make for a good comparison at a significantly lower price point. Uh oh...

Old 06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
If this article is to be believed, which I bet most of it isn't, then we're doomed to a bleak Brady-bunch whipped future in which "The Best of the Best" of automobiledom will be forever kissing the ass of the neo-hippies.

Ugh. More hybrid talk, KERS speak, and MPG numbers. Swell. Go ahead Ferrari. Just do it. Appease your great halo car to Greenpeace & the Al Gore crowd. I'll take my money elsewhere in the future. And if no automaker makes a "real" IC engined car by then, then I'll take up flying or boating or...

Hopefully Lamborghini, McLaren or Pagani will hold the candle for those who still have their sack intact.

A Ferrari 458 motor with 2 turbos. Wow. And you'll charge how much for all this special-ness? Yeah....MmmmKay....

Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
What spoiling it is the 458 engine not that its bad, but for the exclusivity of the car and whar your paying for you'd expect an engine just for the new hyper car.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
I dont see the point of worrying about gas mileage on a super car with a few hundred copies.

Light weight is a good step. However, would you want to sit in a 2200 lb car at 200+ mph? I mean, weight still does matter, especially at high speed. I can imagine the car as a death trap already.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
I dont see the point of worrying about gas mileage on a super car with a few hundred copies.

Light weight is a good step. However, would you want to sit in a 2200 lb car at 200+ mph? I mean, weight still does matter, especially at high speed. I can imagine the car as a death trap already.
The 2200lb is the curb weight. The additional aerodynamic components are capable of adding several hundred pounds of downforce as the car's velocity increases- think about F1 cars.

I am so happy to see Ferrari moving in this direction. I think it is exactly what the industry needs to do as a whole. Weight reduction with intelligent use of carbon fiber and aerodynamics will allow us to achieve stricter emissions without sacrificing pure driving emotion.

It annoys me to see the almost instinctive answer to reducing emissions is always, "Stick a battery in it!". With this, I fear by the time I can, hopefully, afford one of these amazing vehicles it will be powered by a nearly silent battery and have so much computer intervention that I am robbed of the rawness I am so lured to.

Cars can be loud, fast, tourqey, terrifying, and efficient. But, this equation cannot include a 4000lb car!!

Last edited by HarveyMushman; 06-16-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
2200 lbs?!?!

que?!?!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
What happened to Montezemolo or Felisa (can't remember who) saying it was going to be a V12???

Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MattYeu is on a distinguished roadMattYeu is on a distinguished roadMattYeu is on a distinguished road
V8 ?! for the "next Enzo" ?! I prefer a big V12.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
kumarankarth is an unknown quantity at this point
this cert can't be happening for ferrari. too many new cars hitting the market this yr... will certainly be interesting as to what this car will look like when it hits the road...