Notices

TeamSpeed Europe Meet & Drive 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
TeamSpeed Europe Meet & Drive 2010

Hi guys,

A few people have expressed interest in a meet and drive around Europe next year (August 2010) so i have looked into this utilizing a company that specializes in these style trips.

Trip Spec: Routes, hotels and roads for a 4/5 star trip, leaving the UK on a Sunday morning and returning on a Sunday evening - hence 7 nights and 7 days.

I would suggest a 8th night in Kent may be wise for when we get off the Eurotunnel, or alternatively we can add a Sunday night in France and return to the UK for Monday lunchtime.

The route would take us through France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and back through France, encompassing 1740 miles and including mountain passes, tunnels, and magnificent scenery.

The tour would include:
  • 6 nights in the very finest hotels (4 / 5 star) along the journey
  • Breakfast at each hotel
  • A tour manager in a lead car to provide drivers' briefings every morning, set pace, plan for fuel and comfort stops, and assess any potential hazards (including police attention).
  • A chase car to assist with any breakdown or accident issues, collect anyone who needs to stop outside of the planned stops, and ensure no one gets lost.
  • Use of satellite navigation equipment and two-way radios throughout the tour, as well as a driver's road book for each car which serves as both a useful information pack with maps and route details and as a nice souvenir of the trip.
  • Eurotunnel crossings to and from the UK.

Now i have specifically asked the company to look into obtaining quotes for rentals of sports cars and they have come up with the following ballpark estimates:

£3500 per car
£2000 extra for excess mileage (i have negotiated substantial discounts in each case!)
£5000 deposit
£5000 insurance excess

This is based on US driver's licenses, all drivers being over 30, and with collection and delivery in or around London.

If we were to add UK hotels at either end of the European Tour this would enable collection of the vehicles near Heathrow airport, travel to a suitable hotel in Kent, the tour as i've already described it, then a return to a UK hotel before dropping the cars back off in near Heathrow on the Sunday.

Based on 20 people sharing 10 rooms (double or twin) and travelling in 10 cars, Including dinner at the very best restaurants in each hotel (with one exception, where a local restaurant would be more prudent) it would work out to:

Including the additional hotels in the UK, this would make it 8 nights:
£1729 per person, excluding dinner
£2299 per person, including dinner
£5500 per car (2 people)

The cars i've been quoted on would include:
  • AMV8
  • AMV8 Roadster
  • R8
  • DB9
  • 360 Spider
  • 430 coupe
  • Gallardo

(In each case i've asked for 7 different cars, and for each driver to be insured to drive all cars).

The company require a non-refundable deposit which i think (waiting to hear back) is 20%.

It would be great to see at least 15 members make the trip. I'm also waiting to hear back on quotes on how much the room will be for a single occupant as i am sure many (Aside from Jox & UBC who can't wait to sword fight with each other) will not want to share.

Lets start the list:

1. LABrit
2. Jox

Last edited by LABrit; 09-28-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added date.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
wow,cool,i'm in subject to timing,any idea when?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
August so that there's no snow on any of the mountain passes.

Last edited by LABrit; 09-28-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Changed font to draw attention.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
i might also feasibly be in... again, depends on times.

LA, at those rental prices its probably worth looking at flying the cars across for people interested in the US.

hugo, if your ctr doesn't have GPS I am VERY good with maps

Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by h-bo
LA, at those rental prices its probably worth looking at flying the cars across for people interested in the US.)
Not when you consider the duration of time they will be without their vehicles during transport both ways.

The rentals aren't cheap but i'm hoping enough of us Euro members will be able to take passengers - you'll be able to take 4 in your new sedan, quit trying to blag a ride with Hugo!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
LABrit, do you have any preliminary dates? I would love to join subject to timing.
Also, this might be OT but if I was to ship my own car over, would it be possible to temporarily insure it in the UK since I'm pretty sure my insurance policy doesn't apply in Europe?

TIA

Last edited by The Vanq; 09-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by The Vanq
LABrit, do you have any preliminary dates? I would love to join subject to timing.
Also, this might be OT but if I was to ship my own car over, would it be possible to temporarily insure it in the UK since I'm pretty sure my insurance policy doesn't apply in Europe?

TIA
I'm sure that's possible considering how many guys from the Middle East bring their cars here each summer. Might want to ask around. Mo might know someone.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Not when you consider the duration of time they will be without their vehicles during transport both ways.

The rentals aren't cheap but i'm hoping enough of us Euro members will be able to take passengers - you'll be able to take 4 in your new sedan, quit trying to blag a ride with Hugo!
if i can blag a ride with hugo, you can all borrow the panamera.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by h-bo
if i can ride hugo, you can all borrow the panamera.
Can we keep this serious please.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
I might be able to hook up with you somewhere in Europe, but in my own car.
Also, Jox can take like 5 passengers in his soccer mom car.

Quick Reply: TeamSpeed Europe Meet & Drive 2010