Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Jet black M3 spray paint save

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
Jet black M3 spray paint save

BMW M3
“Two step correction”

I got a call from this client stating his car was spray painted by a production company as a prank and wondered if I would be able to remove the spray paint from the car’s paint. I told him it SHOULD remove, but it would be best to have me do a test section to make sure. He brought it over to my while I was at another clients house and I did a quick 10 min assessment of his car. I pulled out Menzerna SIP and an orange pad and hit one of the spots after a quick ONR spray wash of that section only. To my surprise, this combo remove 90% of the defects as well as the spray painted area! This car was really hammered and I did not think I would get such good results from just that one step and was thinking that I would have to go a lot more aggressive to remove defects and spray paint. Lucky for me, and for his car’s paint, it worked out. We set an appointment for a later date and I went back to working on the cars I was detailing at the time.

Upon arrival, I got a better glimpse of the car in its condition. When they tried to remove the paint, they used good gone, solvents, and whatever else to no avail. This was the result of their efforts:

Name:  newm3001.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  newm3002.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  70.6 KB

Also ruined, but not pictured was the clear bra. That was removed and would later be re-installed by premier films in OC. However, when the car first originally had the clear bra installed, it was clear that it had been “polished” by someone who did know what he was doing…hologramming all over, tons of rids and swirls left in the paint, wool pad marks…such a sad condition to be covered up by film.

Name:  newm3004.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  34.6 KB
Name:  newm3006.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  38.0 KB

The side mirrors still had the film on it for some reason, so I took it off so that fresh new film would be replacing it to match. Here is what the clear bra removal took with it…easy clean up!!!
Name:  newm3011.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  48.0 KB

Going around the rest of the car, it was obvious this car was never detailed before in the past PROPERLY. It had a “detail” done to it, but as you can see, it was a very poor attempt! TONS of swirl marks from improper washings, holograms from improper polishing with far too aggressive a combo and not followed up with a more fine and less aggressive combo to smooth things out, and over all haziness from the paint starting to oxidize! Not a problem though, I was there to fix things and restore proper condition to the paint!
Name:  newm3014.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.3 KB
Name:  newm3018.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  newm3024.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  73.7 KB
Name:  newm3027.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  72.8 KB
Name:  newm3029.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  70.7 KB
Name:  newm3035.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  62.0 KB
Name:  newm3039.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  88.5 KB

Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
Here I am starting to take off the side mirror film
Name:  newm3044.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  49.6 KB

And the after shots showing a HUGE improvement. Of course, with all this being done in one day, only a two step was done to the paint. (and that’s all the production company would pay for). There were some deeper RIDS in the paint that I left to error on the side of caution. This car is a daily driven car and will be needing bi-yearly polishing, so I wanted to leave as much paint as possible. Some areas, like on the trunk lid and the hood by the vents, I tried 4 rounds of compounding to remove the RIDS…they weren’t going anywhere and I wasn’t about to try and burn through the paint to remove them!!!

Name:  newm3047.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  46.2 KB
Name:  newm3048.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  newm3052.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  newm3067.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  newm3068.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  83.4 KB
Name:  newm3072.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  43.7 KB
Name:  newm3073.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  46.8 KB
Name:  newm3074.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  35.0 KB

All in all, a dramatic difference in the look of the car!

Products used were the following:
ONR
Meguiars D300/MF pad
Menzerna 85rd/hydro tangerine pad
Griots DA
Menzerna powerlock
Meguiars hyper dressing, glass cleaner
Detailed image clay bar
Chemical guys VO7, metal shine

Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
nice work but your post has typos all over