Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
How can i get you to detail my car for < $100

I actually do need a detail soon, perhaps in June after i get a few mods done.
Love the sense of humor.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
So here's an excellent question:

Originally Posted by miboxer96
What is the proper way to use a quick detailer?

Only after a wash, or can you use it to get a small amount of surface dust off the car?

How long does a clay bar last? On average? Just one time claying, or multiple?
About the detail spray; it should ONLY be used as a means to remove light dust from long-term storage in the garage, light debris from presenting at a Concours, wiping down the finish after a wash to add more protection and remove pesky water spots, or in an emergency to wipe off bird droppings, sap, bugs, etc.

Detail Sprays were not meant to take the place of washing. But unfortunately due to misinformation and marketing from some big car care companies, it's become a way to wash your car. Even the lightest dust form just driving up and down a small block is harmful. When placed under a microscope, light dust particles are merely microscopic rocks. By wiping with a towel and detail spray, you merely move that debris around scratching the delicate paint surface.

So, the proper use: Say you wash you car, put a cover on it, and come back a few weeks later to take the jewel out for a drive. Well, by lightly dusting the finish with a natural wool duster, you take some of the surface dust off and then you can gently wipe down the finish with a detail spray and gentle microfiber towel.

If at a Concours, simply dust the finish with a Natural Wool Duster, and if necessary to remove fingerprints or small smudges, use a detail spray.

If you aren't fortunate enough to have access to de-ionized water, you will have spotting after a wash. A detail spray will remove those water spots and add a layer of wax, further enhancing the shine and protecting the paint.

Bird droppings and bug guts are not your paint's best friend. Within minutes they can etch the clear coat. Etching is when the chemistry in any material, if acidic or basic, begins to permanently break down the paint and actually take paint material with it. The result is a dull, somewhat of a light crater-like spot, that has been damaged. By having detail spray on hand, you can hopefully catch this process and wipe off whatever mother nature dropped, and save the delicate paint surface.

To recap:

1. Do not use detail spray in the place of washing
2. Use a Natural Wool Duster prior to wiping the finish with a detail spray
3. Use detail sprays on a relatively clean surface to remove light dust, water spots, mis-haps such as bird droppings, etc.
4. Detail Sprays are a great way to enhance the paint and add another level of protection
5. Keep a bottle and a microfiber towel handy in your car; you’ll never know when you’ll need it

Thanks for asking this great question

Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Keep your questions coming guys...this is great and an interactive thread. By the way, those of you that get the shirt or cap, post a picture...we'd love to see ya!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks a million Moe!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
parkedr is an unknown quantity at this point
Moe,

I was going to ask you this in person, but it might be helpful to others, so here's one:

I'm getting ready to move to an area where it is hot and humid in the summer. Is it ok to store my detailing products in the garage, or should I keep them inside?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Teamspeed Member
EliteOne9002 is an unknown quantity at this point
your thoughts on this, clearcoat is the name of the game here, no matter what color your vehicle is we are actually maintaining clearcoat. unless you have a stage 1 paint which older cars had before clearcoat. am i correct moe? so why so many company with different products?

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
thanks alot Moe, you are the best

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sorry guys for being MIA the last few weeks....you'll see why shortly. I'm now back on focus and will catch up on the last two weeks of "Ask Moe". Please keep your questions coming.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
Hi, if I were to win a hat, how should I wash it?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Great thread!!!

My initial, question:

What is the "basic" kit that one should have to best care for ones car, inside and out?
This is simple....

1. Good quality pH balanced soap that's gentle on the paint
2. 100% Australian Sheepskin Wash Mitt
3. Non-caustic, pH balanced wheel cleaner
4. A spoke brush for the wheels and a brush to clean the face of the wheels
5. Waffle-weave microfiber foam-core drying cloth, not chamois, to dry the car. Also, the ultimate would be a forced-air blower to blow all the water out instaed of touching the paint with a towel.
6. A good quality detail spray
7. High-quality microfiber towels. Not all are equal, so be aware.
8. Tire Conditioner
9. Glass Cleaner
10. Interior Cleaner
11. Interior Detail Spray
12. Vacuum

Hope this helps. I can go more in-depth if you guys want