Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Need some product recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Phat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished road
Need some product recommendations!

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping some experts here can recommend me some decent products to detail my car, and hopefully keep it cleaner longer. I'm no expert and I'm not going for absolutely flawless results, but happiness is a clean car

I currently use:
- Turtlewax ICE carwash (simply because it's what I found in my house) seems like decent stuff
- Meguiar's Gold Class wax with an orbital polisher (once or twice a year)
- No Touch tire shine, it was cheap but lasts surprisingly long
- Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and supreme shine protectant for the interior
- biodegradeable glass cleaner for all the glass

Problems I'm running in to:
- After washing and drying, the car seems to collect a really thin layer of dust like a magnet. I park outside so it's inevitable. I read there's some sort of protectant I can use to reduce this, anyone know what it's called?
- I have a hell of a time keeping the inside glass clean, I always seem to get streaks and residue on the inside front windshield and I have to clean it 3 or 4 times
- I tried Nu Finish scratch doctor for all the swirl marks and scratches, and this stuff doesn't work worth a damn. Does absolutely nothing on even the lightest scratches. What is better?

If it helps, my car is an '02 A4 which is dolphin grey.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Phat_J
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping some experts here can recommend me some decent products to detail my car, and hopefully keep it cleaner longer. I'm no expert and I'm not going for absolutely flawless results, but happiness is a clean car

I currently use:
- Turtlewax ICE carwash (simply because it's what I found in my house) seems like decent stuff
- Meguiar's Gold Class wax with an orbital polisher (once or twice a year)
- No Touch tire shine, it was cheap but lasts surprisingly long
- Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner and supreme shine protectant for the interior
- biodegradeable glass cleaner for all the glass

Problems I'm running in to:
- After washing and drying, the car seems to collect a really thin layer of dust like a magnet. I park outside so it's inevitable. I read there's some sort of protectant I can use to reduce this, anyone know what it's called?
- I have a hell of a time keeping the inside glass clean, I always seem to get streaks and residue on the inside front windshield and I have to clean it 3 or 4 times
- I tried Nu Finish scratch doctor for all the swirl marks and scratches, and this stuff doesn't work worth a damn. Does absolutely nothing on even the lightest scratches. What is better?

If it helps, my car is an '02 A4 which is dolphin grey.

Thanks in advance!

You will be limited with "OTC" products, PM Phil here @ Detailers Domain and he can hook you up with products (Long list) to get you pro results as a DIY'er.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Phat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished roadPhat_J is on a distinguished road
Great, thank you. I just sent him a message.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
For your at-home detail you can do pretty well on a budget if you don't want to go for the really high-end stuff:

1. DON'T USE ANY TURTLE WAX PRODUCTS

2. Prep the paint to remove all contamination with a clay bar kit- this is essential for the right results. Break it up into 4 small pieces and use as you go along. If you drop a piece you must throw it out.

3. I have had good results with maguiars professional grade polishes and yellow pad.

4. Wax- Liquid maguiars NXT 2.0 holds up great and was on par with the more expensive stuff I had been using.

5. Wheels- Eagle one foaming wash- safe and very effective

6. Moldings- Back to black. Keeps moldings factory fresh for a year

7. Interior- Eagle One nano tech matte finish- best dash product I have ever used.

8. Leather- Leatherique cleaner and conditioner. Simply amazing. I was literally speechless.

9. Stoner's Glass Cleaner in aerosol- You will have birds hitting your windshield when it's parked.

10. Always use clean, new microfiber towels. Again, if it drops throw it out.

DISCLAIMER- I am not a pro. I am an enthusiast who details his car out of pure enjoyment and relaxation a few times a year. I have been doing so for 8 years. Over this time I have gone through a wide range of products starting from the turtlewax at the local hardware store to expensive pinnacle products. My recommendations are based upon what gave me the best results and value.

I look at detailing similar to golf. The really expensive clubs help the guys at the top of their game gain that extra edge. Technique and paint preparation are 90% of results IMO.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
Majki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond reputeMajki has a reputation beyond repute
My choice is:
- menzerna polish
- hexalogic pads
- aio clay
- wolf's sealant or menzerna powerlock
- leather: gliptone conditioner and cleaner
- windscreen: xrain

This all works great on my car!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
extrabolts is an unknown quantity at this point
Find a local carquest and pickup some Duragloss car wash. 901 and 902 are the same stuff - just a different size. If they don't have it in stock they'll get it for you. Its a much better product than the Turtle Wax you are using.

For the dusting issue, you could get some FK425 detail spray. Some claim it helps reduce dusting. After washing the car, just lightly mist a panel before drying it off. The FK425 is supposed to have anti-static properties to help reduce dusting. Don't expect a magical forcefield with any product though.

I'd switch to Collinite 845 insulator wax. It will last longer and look better than either of the Megs products you mentioned. Shake the bottle until it runs like milk, then apply very thinly. Its cheap stuff but you'll have to get it online.

Audis generally have very hard paint. This means your efforts to hand-polish it are futile, and using Nu-Finish is only making your efforts more futile. I'm assuming your orbital polisher is one of those cheap $30 ones from Advance Auto or Walmart - those are basically the same as hand polishing. You'll need a real machine polisher-something cheaper like the Griots random orbital + Menzerna SIP, then follow with 106ff, or you could go with a Flex orbital (more expensive, but better IMO), or you could just have it professionally detailed and then try to maintain it.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks again for the replies. I'm bookmarking this page for reference.

I found out my friend's brother does detailing at his home and has all kinds of equipment, so I let him do my car. Results were very good! The swirl marks are gone, and same with most of the scratches.

I picked up some leatherique for the interior and just finished applying it today. Gonna see how it turns out!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I do the detailing myself once or twice a year (3 cars), I find the swissvax products very easy to use and give much better results than the other stuff i used (autoglym/meguairs/turtlecrap)

I ordered some basic products, they're not cheap, but I don't use them much so they last long enough for me

Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 AM
MTR
Teamspeed Rookie
MTR is an unknown quantity at this point
i always use 3M products with great results

Compound : 3M Fast Cut Plus
Polish : 3M Extra fine Compound
For extra fine finish i use : 3M Perfect It Ultrafina SE , removes swirls and holograms and gives ultimate High Gloss Finish

after that you have to protect your work with polymeric surface protection or wax in 1,2,3 layers .

best combo for me is polymers in one layer and after that Colinite 845 , man it's the best wax out there

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
hit me up if you need anything.

thanks Bob!