Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Shine it like you mean it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job!

Did that orange peel finish come like that from the factory?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond reputeSmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent work! I wish I had the balls to take it to that level. I get nervous just using cutting compounds!

Now do a black car! :-)

Old 04-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
I don't cease to be surprised when I see the "acceptable" level of orange peel that leaves factories nowadays.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff_NJ
Nice job!

Unfortunately yes, and it's common on most cars...even some higher-end exotics from what I've seen in person. Orange peel usually indicates more clearcoat, which gives the car more UV protection and resistance to color-fading. Wetsanding/buffing wouldn't hurt the protection when done properly, but most companies don't want to spend the time/money on making sure each of their cars has a perfect finish. Most owners don't care enough to complain I guess, and the ones that aren't happy will spend the money themselves to have the finish improved.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer
Unfortunately yes, and it's common on most cars...even some higher-end exotics
^this. My friends 360 had it bad, and his 599 does as well.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LENELSA
NICE !

How much would something like that cost professionally ??
Really depends on the shop, and how good they are. I priced this around town a few years ago. There were only a couple of good body shops that did it, and the prices ranged from $1800 to $2700.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ambleZ06
Really depends on the shop, and how good they are. I priced this around town a few years ago. There were only a couple of good body shops that did it, and the prices ranged from $1800 to $2700.

This job would probably take more than this amount, as to do this properly you need 45+ hours @ a shop rate of $60.00-$75.00 per hour.

Great job Joe(even though I commented on this job elsewhere)also good to meet you at the "Detailfest" in Florida a few weeks back.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Barrister
Nice write-up and great work!

Why don't more pro detailers use the Meguiar's system?

I have often wondered if there is any real benefit to popping for stuff like Zymol or Swissvax when they are so much more expensive.

Is it just a matter of labeling or are there legitimate differences?

By the way, I have met Barry several times. Nicest guy in the world!

Meguiar's would make a nice forum sponsor.
Up until recently Meguiars was a little behind the curve in terms of performance compared to brands like Menzerna but lately they have been on fire coming out with new stuff that is quite awesome. People who choose to look down upon it because its an American brand and doesnt cost an arm and a leg are just in denile, lol. Results dont lie.

... Jose my man, this is fantastic work and how it should be done. No BS fluff detailing here, just hardcore correction, bravo!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!StealthPilot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Barrister
Nice write-up and great work!

Why don't more pro detailers use the Meguiar's system?

I have often wondered if there is any real benefit to popping for stuff like Zymol or Swissvax when they are so much more expensive.

Is it just a matter of labeling or are there legitimate differences?

By the way, I have met Barry several times. Nicest guy in the world!

Meguiar's would make a nice forum sponsor.
I think it depends on which particular product you use.

Meguiars' has superb products, but there are some Swissvax products which are simply superb like the vehicle specific waxes (like Scuderia, Blau-Weiss, Reflexus) and the Swissvax Shield (combines incredible finish with non stick surface that resists dust, flies, etc.)

Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Outstanding. If I'm not mistaken Rolls and Bentley are the only ones out there that take the time to wetsand a finish out before delivery. Bugatti would not surprise me.

Quick Reply: Shine it like you mean it!!