Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Still Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond reputeStill Lost has a reputation beyond repute
Need Some Advice

My dad has a company car and needless to say he doesn't take much care of it. However I know he would like it to look better if at all possible but he just doesn't have the time or motivation. Not to mention the van had been hit twice in parking lots w/ no one stepping forward, however he was rear-ended a few weeks ago and while in the body shop he is having all the other issues fixed.

So I was thinking that when it comes back from the shop to clean it up for him. It has a lot of swirl marks and rids.

That being said, I will be using a Porter Cable Random Orbital to work on the car. What system can I use (on foam pads if possible) to clean it up as much as possible without being in the garage for 4 days? It's not that I don't want to cut corners but I know how it's going to look again in another 8 months.

Any advice on product(s) would be awesome!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
For a quick and nasty tidy up with the Porter Cable, you just need to use is an all in one Polish/Wax on a medium cut pad.
Megs cleaner wax would work in this case. If you wanna put a little more effort in, then clay it before.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Ivan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to allIvan Rajic is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Still Lost
My dad has a company car and needless to say he doesn't take much care of it. However I know he would like it to look better if at all possible but he just doesn't have the time or motivation. Not to mention the van had been hit twice in parking lots w/ no one stepping forward, however he was rear-ended a few weeks ago and while in the body shop he is having all the other issues fixed.

So I was thinking that when it comes back from the shop to clean it up for him. It has a lot of swirl marks and rids.

That being said, I will be using a Porter Cable Random Orbital to work on the car. What system can I use (on foam pads if possible) to clean it up as much as possible without being in the garage for 4 days? It's not that I don't want to cut corners but I know how it's going to look again in another 8 months.

Any advice on product(s) would be awesome!
I'd highly suggest Meguiar's M105 and M205 on 5.5" Lake Country orange and white (maybe black if it's softer paint) foam pads.

M105 paired with an orange pad can remove quite a bit of damage from the paint even on harder paints and even with the Porter Cable. One step with M105/orange followed by a step of M205/white should clean up the car really well without too much work involved. It should get rid of most/all swirlmarks and many deeper defects.

I'd also highly suggest getting a claybar and properly decontaminating the paint as it'll help out the maintenance in the long run. A good sealant/wax is a must. I'd suggest Blackfire Wet Diamond or Klasses Sealant Glaze.

In short:

Meg's M105
Meg's M205
Lake Country 5.5" Orange pad
Lake Country 5.5" White pad (I'd get a black one as well just in case)
Clay Magic Blue bar
Blackfire WD or KSG

Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
BlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to beholdBlakeNW is a splendid one to behold
I personally would never polish a car without claybar first. Id suggest Orange CCS with M105 on a Porter Cable never exceeding speed 5 and then Green CCS and M205 at around speed 3-4, QD Wipe and then Collonite 915. Hands down this is the best DIY detailing steps you could do in one full days work at home and spending less than $100 if you already have your PC.