Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Black Ferrari F430 3 day Paint Correction & Detail

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Black Ferrari F430 3 day Paint Correction & Detail

2008 Ferrari 430 in for a 3 day full correction, interior and engine detail.

Began with the wheels and tires. Wheels were cleaned using regular soap and water with various brushes due to the carbon ceramic brakes.

Wash process:

Foam w/ CG maxi suds
Soak w/ Optimum Power Clean 5:1
Hand wash using Lusso Oro

Brought inside with the heat on full blast (sub 40degree temps outside now)

Claying using ONR as lube

After claying 2 IPA wipedowns were done before taping. I spent a lot of time masking this car to prevent a messy cleanup after correction. Most importantly the clear film edges on the front bumper, nose and by the side air intakes (upper and lower) were masked carefully.

Hood clear bra line taped thick enough so that I can run over it with a buffer and still not be onto the clear film as I was using a rotary for correction on the un-filmed upper half of the nose

Next I took measurements with the PTG. The rear bumper and engine cover area were repainted a few months ago, I took careful readings and surprisingly they were very close to the factory levels, at most a 40micron difference in thickness. The color match job done was hands down the best I have seen

Factory reading...

Re-sprayed panel

Onto paint correction. I played around with the new Flex PE 14-2 which is quite a cool machine.

Products used... Meguiars M105, Sonax Perfect Finish (both for light cutting and finishing w/ varied pads)

Switched to the Griots DA machine in the side skirts to make for easier polishing, these areas get hit the worst with RIDS and scuffs...

50/50, not every defect was able to be removed but the haze did come out into a nice gloss to match the rest of the car after polihsing

After finishing

Front nose needed a good bit of work...

Before

After

Clear film correction. This was about the worst condition clear film I have dealt with. Far too many RIDS and scracthes to yield very high levels of correction, as usual I swicthed to a DA for the correction process on the film.

After first pass

After several more passes using Powerfinish with a tangerine cutting pad

I was having a lot of trouble wiping the film without marring it, I tried several types of microfiber all of which left some light marring behind... mind you I waited until the plastic cooled fully before wiping it.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I ended up using the eurow shag towels which seemed to glide best on the film not cause it to marr :thumb:

Top portion of film polished... bottom part untouched

I had better luck with this part of the nose clear film, finally was able to get a high level of correction because the defects were not as severe...

Polishing the rear decklid was a little tricky as the decklid sits adjacent to the rear quarter panel and I hate polishing over edges and onto another panel by mistake...

Soltuion:

Decklid defects (re-sprayed area)

50/50 after compounding

polishing with sonax perfect finish

Engine took a bit of time to get right. Started with the exhaust, several polishing steps by hand a machine (on the can) to bring back the color

50/50

50/50

After

50/50 of the intake manifold...

Again 50/50 difference in color with the left side untouched

Finished

Cleaned up the trunk area, 50/50 of the cowl. Polished up plastic with Z-AIO to remove water spots

Interior was generally clean. The main focus was cleaning the leather to remove an old dressing's sheen and restore a more natural matte finish.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Before

Put 2 coats of Opti seal on the CF trim

Polished the wheels using Werkstat prime followed by 2 layers of Rejex for protection.

Finshed

Then came the finishing details. Clear bra line had some old wax buildup which needed to be removed before LSP. I used a rather unusual toothpick/mini hotdog holder which I bought for instances just like this... worked great.

Removed chalked up wax very nicely

Old wax on mirror trim as well, before

After

Glass cleaned using some new towels I just got in which are designed for use in hospitals to clean windows. They are made to not leave streaks or residue behind because bacteria can apparently grow in the residual product left on glass (for cars not such a huge deal as we have been using glass towels forever but in a hospital i can see how this would be a concern)

Either way they work great!

Up close

LSP: Menzerna Powerlock x3

Finished shots

No outside shots this time, finished around 9pm.... I could have finished at 5 and it would have still been pitch black outside, ah winter detailing :doh:

Final walkaround video...

YouTube - Street Dreams Detail - Ferrari F430 Finished Video

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
Great job Dave!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ST Graveyard is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Outstanding work - great attention to detail.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond repute
wow great work. that looks brand new again

Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Looking great Dave, as usual...ill give you a another shout in the spring!