Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Polishing question

I've been learning the ins and outs of machine polishing on my Audi recently and really enjoy seeing the results.

I have some basic questions for the amazing detailers in here.

When using a polisher for Meguiars M105, after preloading the pad and applying the polish, how long do you let it sit and do you use a machine to remove the polish or a microfiber by hand ?

I try to do a 2ft by 2ft segment at a time, and up until now I've been removing using a microfiber...but I wonder if this is the "correct technique".

I want to practice and get better on the Audi before I touch any of the other rides

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated...and I always enjoy the threads you guys put up showing befores/afters...artistry truly

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You dont need to leave the polish on for any period of time. Its just is just to cut the paint and then be removed so you can apply a LSP (Wax/Sealant). LSP's normally require a bonding period before removal.
An mf sould be fine for removal, most would use the machine to work it in and then remove by hand, if you want to take it to the next level you would remove polish residue with IPA for better adhesion of the wax, but then you must be pretty hot with the polisher as an alcohol wiped surface is not forgiving.
Also you might want to consider following up with a finishing polish before going to LSP. Will really help in ramping the gloss up, especially on darker cars.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Banned
TOGWT is an unknown quantity at this point
Megs 105 / 205 the important points
• Proper priming of the pad with the product being used is super important
• An increase in pressure (over what you would normally use) is necessary
• The speed you use depends upon what you are trying to accomplish.
• Clean and / or replace pads as often as is necessary; a clean, primed and seasoned pad will enhance the abrasive abilities of the compound / polish and make the process not only more efficient but less time consuming.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks !