Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

1972 Corvette Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ST Graveyard is an unknown quantity at this point
1972 Corvette Stingray

Hello,

This is my first attempt at polishing a car, so why not try it immediately with my dream car? ;-)

This is the car :

Looks good, right?

Close up :

Some serious spider webs.

Let's start with the foaming. I don't have a foam gun, so I try doing it old school using this product :

After the foaming I did a complete wash. Then it started raining. So I stopped and continued the next day.

After the wash :

This is my range of products.

And my lamp :

My pads and DAP500 :

Let's start claying :

After claying. The claying actually made some extra scratches and marring, but the paint felt completely clean. Amazing.

This is the result after a first run with an ultra light compound and green cutting pad :

As you can see, still a lot of scratches around the lighting.

This is the result after 2 runs with a medium compound and a orange pad :

The wheelflares are not done yet, only part of the hood. It looks already pretty amazing.

These are 50/50 shots :

From the top :

The complete left side is done here :

This is me :

A final 50/50 shot :

Since this was the first time I actually did some polishing, I worked 4,5 hours on just this little part of the car. I clayed only the nose, and I polished 1/3 of the nose. I'm getting the hang of this, but it is some hard work.

I've been reading about polishing and the likes for the past year now.

If you have comments or tips, let me know.

I'll post more pics of progres soon.

Cheers,
Maarten

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 10-10-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Good job! Welcome to the TEAM!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Great job on a fantastic car! I'd never known that was your first time polishing.

What's under the hood? 427? 454?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Good job!

I don't think the 427 was offered in 72. I believe the 454 was the LS5 and had a larger cowl-induction style hood

Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
sal
Teamspeed Senior Member
sal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant future
Awesome work, especially for a first time! After trying to polish up one of our cars, I quickly realized how some of the professionals can spend 40+ hours on a thorough detail. Definitely post up some pictures when you finally make it through. It will be worth it in the end.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks for the possitive feedback.

The car has a non-matching numbers 327 under the hood (from a Vette of 68). The car runs amazing though, love every bit of it.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Maarten

Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Hello Guys,

Little update. 7 hours of work in the car now and the hood is done. I only used compound (the mildest and medium one) and I plan on doing a very light polish/glaze on the whole car to top it off when it is done. There still are some light scratches in there, which I can not remove (maybe I should try the toughest compound), however, the results are already amazing. Here some new shots :

This is where I left off :

The middle has got the full treatment, the left side of the hood only the first 2 passes with the medium compound (soft compound still to do) :

In detail :

Complete hood done :

The reflections of the roof ... Just amazing :

This is me ... proud ;-)

Cheers,
Maarten

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 09-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
So far looks good, seems like your claying way to aggressively, even on soft paint clay marring should be very minimal if at all visible, on that you can really see where the bar gripped into the finish. Just a thought, otherwise fine work my friend!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks Smoke!

Today I did the complete left side of the car.

This is after claying :

Close up of the spiderwebs :

This is after a first pas with medium compound and the orange pad :

A 50/50 shot :

Front left completely done :

The Bottom of the door is done, the top only 1 pass (still has scratches) :

Door done, back side still to do :

mg]http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-44MYIKVE-D.jpg[/img]

Back side before :

Back bottom after, see the difference between top and bottom :

Complete lower side of back done :

This was another 3 hour job, but it looks pretty cool.

Cheers,
Maarten

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 09-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Hey guys,

A new update from my side.

The detailing project has become a little bit bigger. I've decided to remove the bumpers and have them rechromed. After 40 years they start to look a bit rusty. The rear bumpers were a lot of work, completely rusted tight.

This is how it is looking after several hours of work. As you can see, I also removed a body panel which will be detailed later (that one has some paint damage) :

After this I started working on the paint again. The T roof carriage on the back has been removed (and will be polished or rechromed). After claying :

After a pass with medium compound and afterwards light compound :

50/50 shot :

Finished pictures :

Finally the left roof panel.

Before :

After :

A final shot of the back ... It looks just gorgeous :

Well, I worked in total another 4 hours on the back, left and roof panel (excluding the bumper removal work). But it will be worth it!

Cheers,
Maarten

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 10-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 1972 Corvette Stingray