Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

so detailing huh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
dinorocz is on a distinguished roaddinorocz is on a distinguished roaddinorocz is on a distinguished road
so detailing huh?

So all these paint correction threads got me thinking, how often does one need to really do this and what type of cost is reasonable for a full out correction? Any answers would be appreciated, by the way, all the threads with these awesome results really show how much knowledge and talent many of you pro details really have,

Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
its usually an hourly rate you want to work at - around $60/hr
how often, maybe once a year, or once every other year, or even every 6months if you just dont care for the car properly and you always want it perfected...

usually its a once a year for my clients. Get it corrected at the beginning of summer and try to maintain it all year long!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
nrz
Teamspeed Senior Member
nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
If you do it once and really maintain the car you'll need only maintenace details which require less aggressive compounds and less steps to maintain good paint. This site has great detailers on it but you can also check out autopia.org to really get some great DIY ideas/pointers for maintaining that fresh polish.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nrz
If you do it once and really maintain the car you'll need only maintenace details which require less aggressive compounds and less steps to maintain good paint. This site has great detailers on it but you can also check out autopia.org to really get some great DIY ideas/pointers for maintaining that fresh polish.
I agree with the above.

All you really need is one comprehensive corrrection and then maintenance details every six months.

The key is learning how to take care of the paint yourself in between maintenance details.

It isn't hard and can actually be fun and theraputic.

For a comprehensive detail - one that is at least an all day or multiple day thing - I would expect at least $1,000 for a reputable detailer.

For the 6 month maintenance details I would think $300 - $400 would be reasonable.

But you should expect to be wowed each time you see the car for those prices.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I agree with the above.

All you really need is one comprehensive corrrection and then maintenance details every six months.

The key is learning how to take care of the paint yourself in between maintenance details.

It isn't hard and can actually be fun and theraputic.

For a comprehensive detail - one that is at least an all day or multiple day thing - I would expect at least $1,000 for a reputable detailer.

For the 6 month maintenance details I would think $300 - $400 would be reasonable.

But you should expect to be wowed each time you see the car for those prices.
Boy, I want YOU as a detaling client! I try to keep a full exterior correction at about $25 an hour because that is all the market will bear here, and they usually take 12-20 hours. But they can easily get into much longer. I charge my "one-step" details about $200 because they don't take that long with the right polishes and tools. They just take a lot out of you.

Most of my regulars tell me to give it all I have once a year. I get very few "in between" jobs. The trick is learning how to properly wash a car, and 90% don't.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
dinorocz is on a distinguished roaddinorocz is on a distinguished roaddinorocz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
Boy, I want YOU as a detaling client! I try to keep a full exterior correction at about $25 an hour because that is all the market will bear here, and they usually take 12-20 hours. But they can easily get into much longer. I charge my "one-step" details about $200 because they don't take that long with the right polishes and tools. They just take a lot out of you.

Most of my regulars tell me to give it all I have once a year. I get very few "in between" jobs. The trick is learning how to properly wash a car, and 90% don't.
wow Damon, didnt know you were into the detailing thing also, by the way its Danny from Staten Island (always ordering tires) Wish you were down here, I'd let you do it in a heartbeat

Thanks all for the info, any other opinions with price and all for my geographical location?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack

As with anything what the costs are in middle america do not reflect what the cost of living is in California and New York area, you can also add Hawaii to that list as well. A client of mine has a son at Notre Dame where you are Damon, and instead of renting an apt he BOUGHT a HOME for his son to live in while attending school there( Three bedroom home .75 acre for $100,000.00 dollars) and the gas price for super is like $1.95 per gallon where as here it is (Norcal) $3.06 per gallon just a slight difference(lol).

Correction by someone with the proper skills and insurance should run between $50.00 per hour to over $70.00 per hour.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Jean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura aboutJean-Claude has a spectacular aura about
I do everything from maintenance washes to full on correction jobs. I would say single steps are the most popular. Once a car has been done up right and had real correction work done, proper maintenance along with a single step once or twice a year keeps them looking awesome.

I charge a flat rate of $45 per hour no matter what I am doing. Washing a car or compound/polish/finish/wax....it doesn't matter. They all take time and they all can be done either the right way or the wrong way. They right way = $45 per hour here and I take however long it demands to be done right(while hustling and working hard, not wasting time).

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
gmblack3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm at $50-60/hr depending on how far I have to drive.

As noted above, if it is washed properly there should be no major swirls for at least a year. Letting the dealership or some hack wash your car just once...all bets are off.

If you are paying good money for a correction, the LSP that the detailer uses should last at least 4 months on a DD.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
MirrorImage is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gmblack3
I'm at $50-60/hr depending on how far I have to drive.

As noted above, if it is washed properly there should be no major swirls for at least a year. Letting the dealership or some hack wash your car just once...all bets are off.

If you are paying good money for a correction, the LSP that the detailer uses should last at least 4 months on a DD.
I agree with you, I start out at $45/hr and go up slightly to account for extra travel distance.