Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

one glossy BMW (tons of pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
one glossy BMW (tons of pictures)

Here is the latest project I had taken on, a sapphire black BMW. Really clean looking car, one that I would definitely like to own! I went over to give the estimate, and upon arrival in the cloudy conditions, it didnt look too bad honestly. The metallic flake hid some of the damage pretty well because as soon as I took out the halogens and the LED, it was a whole different ball game! You talk about hologram, swirling, oxidation, this car had it all, and a lot of it! At first the owner didnt think it was too bad until I pointed things out...then he was a little more upset with the condition of the car! Also, the wheels and the calipers were rusting quite a bit, so he asked that I take care of those as well and take the wheels off completely. No problem, its going to take 2 days time to perform this detail is what I told him....18 hours later, I was finally done! After talking with the owner, I could tell he wanted it as good as it could possible get! (plus he said it a few times!!)

Process on this job went a little something like this:
wash, clay, wash, dry
inspect, test panel, tape and prep
compound, polish, polish, seal, wax, final wipe down
remove wheels, soak in cleaners, scrub, soak, scrub, repeat, clay, seal
wire brush rust on hubs and calipers, steel wool them, wipe off/prep, paint

Products used in no order:
chem guys citrus wash
megs blue clay, last touch lube
105, 205, FPII
M21, fuzion, final inspection
exceldetail WW towel, exceldetail titan MF towels, exceldetail glass WW towels
LC orange and blue pads, Megs yellow pad
PCXP with LC backing plates
Hitachi rotary with Megs backing plate

Total time between start to finish was about 17/18 hours. This was a flat rate, not an hourly job.

Well, on to the pics:

At this point, there is NO protection on the car after two washes with chemical guys citrus wash and claying, evidence in is the lack of beading and non-uniform sheeting:

Some mid washing pictures to get very thorough with the wash:

Starting condition here:

Here is a before and after of the same shot (I don't seem to stop while working to take same shot pics)

Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
Wheels:
This is how bad the wheels are (never been detailed before and it shows):

This is as clean as P21s, APC+ and claying would get them. Diminishing return took effect after this point. I spent about 20 min on each wheel, and at that point, another 5 minutes didnt really improve the wheel = done

painted calipers:
here is a before of what you can see through the wheel, and really took away from the looks of the car (eyesore to stare at rust)

all painted up and ready to re-install wheel

With all that done, here are the afters. results are about 98% as just a couple or RIDS remain (owner keeping car for a while, no sense in thinning the paint to remove), and a few chips in the paint! ZERO swirl marks, ZERO holograms, and ZERO oxidation remain!!!

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
PeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura about
Amazing job.

Did you just paint right over the rust on the brakes or did you sand it out first? Just wondering. It will probably come back eventually regardless I think.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
sanded down as much as possible, some staining remained