Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

25 hours on 04 Cayenne Turbo... TONS of Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
d00t is on a distinguished roadd00t is on a distinguished road
25 hours on 04 Cayenne Turbo... TONS of Pics!

Finished this car a few weeks ago, but have been slamemd so I'm a little behind.

I was contacted by the owner who had some concernes about scratches on the roof pilar. Turns out, there was scratches all over the car, and being a very meticulous car guy, he wanted almost every single scratch paid attention to. Now, the scratches were deep, easily caught with a fingernail. But he has had horrible experiences in the past with body shops, and the whole car would need a repait to make it 100% perfect again, but this wasn't in the cards for this car, or the owners wishes. So after explaining, that I can level the scratches out and minimize the reflection of the scratches, so they aren't as noticeable.

Along with the wetsanding, the car was giving a complete interior and exterior detail. Sorry, no befores as I started early morning under low cloud cover, and the car was relatively clean.

So lets start with the wheels:

Cleaned with Poorboys Spray and Rinse, P21S Wheel Gel, and P21S TAW, with various brushes.

As you can see, the wheels are fairly clean, but the barrels can use some attention.

Getting the calipers as well:

Everything looking as it should:

Moving on to the wash. Used a 3:1 mixture with half Citrus Wash and Clear, and half Optimum Power Clean, then carried out a two bucket was with more CWC before pulling the car into the garage for a clay with ONR as lube, and Riccardo Yellow.

In this picture, you can see the swirls in the bottom rght:

Obviously, someone's been here!

And some more that were taken after I had started polishing, but lighting was just right to capture some swirls:

Now for the scratches on the roof pillar I mentioned:

First thing I did, measure the paint:

Plenty to work with, on with the sanding! I used Meguiars UniGrit 2000 then 3000 on the roof pillar.

I then used a 3" PFW with 3M FC+ at 2000rpm, and followed up later with 3M UK Green Pad and FC+, 3M UK Yellow and 3M EFC, and finally 3M UK Blue and M205.

Imperfect 50/50:

Scratches greatly minimized and mostly removed:

Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
The final polishing bill was what was stated above for the entire car. When I'd hit some scratches with 1500 then 2000 then 3000 I would use a Meguiars so1o yellow wool pad, then the above process.

Here's a scratch I found on the hood:

Not 100% removed, but significantly reduced:

A deep scuff on the passenger side front door:

These were sanded with 1500>2000>3000.

(notice the chip in the befores, and then notice its in the exact same place for the afters--there is no "camera trickery" here...)

Moving on to scratches above door handle:

Gone:

Yes, even corrected the roof!

Tail lights were polished same as the paint.

Notice the clarity and crisp reflections in the right light:

And lack of clarity/crisp reflections:

Every trim piece on the car is either metallic silver painted, or brushed aluminum finish. EXCEPT these pieces on the rear windows. BUT, the were corrected just like the rest of the car!

After compounding and polishing the entire car. I wanted to go the extra mile and really amp the gloss. I used M205 on a 3M UK Blue finishing pad, with extremely slow and steady passes.

Notice the lack of swirling and perfect sun "dot" reflection on the C pillar:

(the reason it's dark is because in order to capture swirls on this paint, I had to use a polarizer filter)

I think it needs a wash...

So, I brought it out and foamed with a CWC/APC micture to remove all polishing oils:

Now that I had finished the correction I turned my attention to all the "details" and interior. First up was the wheels. They were polished with ZAIO, and sealed with Swissvax Autobahn. Wheel wells and tires got Megs HD 3:1.

Glass was polished with Werkstat Prime Strong, and sealed with Acrylic.

Engine bay wasn't dirty, just dusty. So after a quick clean up, I dressed all plastics with Poorboys Trim restorer.

Same goes with the black grilles, as there's plenty on the front of this Cayenne to keep as much cool air flowing to both turbos!

Before:

A rich, deep black grille:

Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
The door jambs were cleaned, and then polished/sealed with Danase Wet Glaze.

Before:

After:

(rear door jamb hose was treated once the door was opened)

Rubber seales were fed with 1Z Gummi Pfledge:

On to the interior. It was vacuumed, leather cleaned/conditiond/protected with leather masters trio. Plastic portions of the dash were treated to 303 Protectant. Wood polished with ZAIO.

Pedals cleaned with APC 7:1

Interior Afters:

Final afters!
(note: the sun was going down.. I finished this car on Sunday of daylight savings and said I was going to take pictures that afternoon... but forgot the sun was going down at 5 instead of 7!!)

\

LSP:

Thanks for looking!

As always, C/C Welcome!

Aaron

Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Nav
Teamspeed Senior Member
Nav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond repute
wow, that is great work! i thought I paid attention to detail, and had patience, but you obviously took it to another level!

Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura aboutMuttGrunt has a spectacular aura about
looks great Aaron!