Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Input for cheap details

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Originally Posted by GrayTT
its just a pond
You can fly me to Bahrain!

I face the same conflict as you do Godoman, FORTUNATELY most of my customers are willing to get the full job and the price. However there are some that want it "detailed" but not "detailed" if you know what I'm getting at, so I promote a certain package which is just a one-step polish that will get light swirls and such out but a good bit of imperfections that require 2-3 steps remain. It's considerably less than other packages but still enough to compensate me for my time and efforts as I have the same working environment as you do. Get a website up!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
godoman is an unknown quantity at this point
wow

you guys are giving me more and more really great info.

true, I am at conflict with wanting to become a pro at doing high end detailing and do not want to do cheap "quick details" that hide or cover the paint defects but this is life. I need something to support me inbetween the real thorough paint correction jobs I get.

keep all the suggestions coming. every product that you guys throw at me I turn around and place an order for after reading every search results I get through google.

love it!

marcus

Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
My go to polish for a one step detail is Menzerna 203 power finish, it cuts almost as well as SIP/IP but leaves enough gloss to skip 85/FPII. Simple to work with! Use it on a green or white pad, oh and UP your prices a little! I'm not sure of your area but you know just as well as I do, this isn't the easiest, breeziest of work.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
IMO, you need something like meguiars 66...it will eat through any oxidation, cover up some of the defects, and amp the gloss of the car.

if you dont need the oxidation removal aspects of a "chemical cleaner wax," get some optimum poliseal for more of a mechanical defect removal one step product! If will remove light defects, leave behind a good amount of gloss and slickness!

also, IMO, you are using too much wax/sealant and not really gaining anything after the 1st layer of each! I would think you can get better results with an extra round of polishing compared to the 36 hours of wait time to apply 3 rounds of a sealant. you can get around a car about 18 times with menzerna FPII in that time frame and you would have one hell of a dripping wet car with much less defects to cover up!

compound to remove defects, polish to increase the depth and shine, and wax to protect it all! your looks are more in the prep than in the wax

Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
thanks for the help on that one. I am fully aware that what makes the clean show room car detail is not the wax but the prep and polish of the paint work and "then" the wax and/or sealant to enhance it.

however, I am inquiring for customers in my area that have been asking for a cheaper option to have their car detail. most in my area have some money lieing around but are still reluctant to dish out a few hundred dollars to have their car paint fully correct and sealed or waxed. it just does not make much sense to them. they do want me to go through and quickly buff out the major scracthes that they have but really just want something to glaze out the hair scractchesand then apply a spray on wax (such as prima hydro) or a true sealant like FMJ.

I do appreciate the in depth feed back. all of you have been very very helpful.

marcus

Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
nothing will cover up neglected cars...

I would use a filling product like a glaze, but its not going to hide everything like it sounds like you are hoping...best bet, SHOW your clients the difference!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
use the word "inexpensive" not cheap. cheap counds not so good.

and get some business cards, thats what I did and got lots of customers for the low end type detail. remember, unless the car is black, the "average" guy with an expensive car is going to feel the paint and like that its smooth and shiney. Don't over due yourself for a inexpensive detail

Old 07-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
that is the problem

I do not know how to do an "inexpensive detail". I have a one track mind as far as detailing goes. either full detail that gives 95 percent (or close to) paint correction or not at all.

I am losing busines because I was only trained in doing high end detailing and there is nothing below that for me as far as knowlege goes. so I think I am being misunderstood on this thread that I am trying to jip customers out of their money by giving a low level glazed up detail.

in reality I am trying to figure out what goes into those inexpensive details that go on at the little ghetto shops that we have all seen and I took a job at once. of course I never got to see what they were doing from start to finish as I was outside "prepping" the cars.

anyways, if any of you follow what I am trying to say, please help me out. just trying to get by.

thanks