Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips

Exhaust tips can sometime be an area that is often overlooked. The tips can sometimes make or break the rear view of any car. This write-up will walk you through the correct and safe technique of properly cleaning and conditioning most exhaust tips. The method below will work on any aluminum and chrome tip. If you have specific questions about your exhaust tips, please PM me prior to attempting the technique below.

Initial Condition

Step 1

Wipe down inside tips to remove initial carbon deposit

After initial wipedown. This helps remove most of the soot sitting inside the tips

Notice the hard water spots ethced on the outer surface of the tips

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-11-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Step 2

Spray P21S Total Auto Wash inside and outside of the tips. The gentle citrus-based formula will begin breaking down the carbon deposit and hard water spots on the outside of the tips

Using latex gloves, take a small piece of OOOO steel wool and begin cleaning the inside and outside of the tips. Use gentle pressure initialy and increase pressure as needed. Let the product and wool do most of the work

After wiping down with steel wool and P21S Total Auto Wash

GP Yellow Microfiber Towel before wiping off tips after cleaning with P21S Total Auto Wash and steel wool

Tips after wipedown

Most would, and could, stop after this step. However, being OCD, I still see room for improvement

Towel after wipedown

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-11-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Step 3

Zymol Metall is a mild and effective metal polish. It safely cleans all types of metal without any caustic fumes or harsh chemicals. This is an all-natural product that comes in a towelette. The strawberry and cream scent is just delicious

Allow Metall to sit for about 3-5 minutes

Here's the towelette after wiping the inside and outside of the tips. As you can see, there was some residue left behind

Using a GP Yellow Microfiber Towel, wipe off Metall to a brilliant shine and luster

Final Result

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-11-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Great write-up Moe! As always, you give the best, most detailed advice (no pun intended).

What steps and/or products would you suggest for tips that are powder or ceramic coated black like mine?

I know you are very familiar with my cars, but for others who may not be, here are what the tips look like on my BBI Autosport Stage II 997 Turbo.

Thanks for all of your great advice Moe!

Last edited by Barrister; 11-11-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Barrister
Wow. Great write-up Moe! As always, you give the best, most detailed advice (no pun intended).

Would you suggest the same steps for tips that are powder or ceramic coated black like mine? I know you are very familiar with my cars, but for others who may not be, here are what the tips look like on my BBI Autosport Stage II 997 Turbo.

Thanks for all of your great advice Moe!
When I detailed your Turbo, I followed the same technique in the write-up. To be on the safe side, you can try cleaning with the P21S TAW first and see how it looks. Metall was not designed for podercoated substrates. For your tips, I believe it was cleaned and no steel wool was needed.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Moe.

For you guys who have not seen the vid I put together of my 997TT just after Moe detailed it, check it out below.

For the full experience, go to youtube and watch it in high quality or view it on my picture and video site at:

BBI Autosport Stage II Turbo Detailed By GP

http://vimeo.com/2212367

Last edited by Barrister; 11-11-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Stunning work, as always Moe! Great writeup!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
MOE!!! Thanks for writing that. I need to clean mine soon, I'll take some before and after pictures. Rep for you!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
MOE!!! Thanks for writing that. I need to clean mine soon, I'll take some before and after pictures. Rep for you!
Hope it was worth the wait. Definitely take before/afters and let us know if you have any questions.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Moe you're outta control. OCD is quite the understatement!!

Quick Reply: MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips