Notices
Classic Muscle Classic Muscle Car Discussion Forum.

Your opinions on a 1967 Shelby GT500E Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Your opinions on a 1967 Shelby GT500E Mustang

As stated in the subject, what do you think of this car? Too cliche? Would you own one? How are they from a collectors point of view?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
Are you speaking about an original 1/11 for the Movie or 1 of the ~75 built recreations by Unique Performance that was raided & bankrupt last year? or just a clone?

Original: http://67mustangblog.com/?p=1217#more-1217

Unique Performance:
http://www.cars-on-line.com/39024.html
http://www.azcarsandtrucks.com/1967shelby.html

Clone : http://www.cars-on-line.com/33974.html

Last edited by alkyoneus; 11-17-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, car was rebuilt by a local company and signed by Carroll Shelby himself.

"This car is an original 1967 GT390 with a 427 big block engine imported from USA. The engine has been re-bored & re-stroked pushing 478 hp in JHB which should be roughly 500 hp in Cape Town (coastal). The car has both air con and power steering and is one of three (two built) original signed Carroll Shelby kits bought from unique performance. The transmission was changed from manual to A/T with a 3 speed box which actually requires an over drive to increase the cruising performance."

Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike S
Yes, car was rebuilt by a local company and signed by Carroll Shelby himself.

"This car is an original 1967 GT390 with a 427 big block engine imported from USA. The engine has been re-bored & re-stroked pushing 478 hp in JHB which should be roughly 500 hp in Cape Town (coastal). The car has both air con and power steering and is one of three (two built) original signed Carroll Shelby kits bought from unique performance. The transmission was changed from manual to A/T with a 3 speed box which actually requires an over drive to increase the cruising performance."
Based on that it appears to be a '67 GT 390 fitted with a kit from Unique performance to clone a GT500. Cool? Well except for the auto transmission, Yes. As for collectible? I don't know.

Edit: I'd rather have a clone, so I could drive the snot out of it and not worry about depreciating the value of an original.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 11-17-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
So its basically a 67 GT390 with a kit they bought from unique performance but not Vin'd by Shelby?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
So its basically a 67 GT390 with a kit they bought from unique performance but not Vin'd by Shelby?
I have no clue. That is why I'm asking here. I doubt it's an "original" though.

Last edited by Mike S; 11-17-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
Based on that it appears to be a '67 GT 390 fitted with a kit from Unique performance to clone a GT500. Cool? Well except for the auto transmission, Yes. As for collectible? I don't know.

Edit: I'd rather have a clone, so I could drive the snot out of it and not worry about depreciating the value of an original.
I also was a bit turned off by the auto tranny, but I think it's something I could look past. Original or not, I'm still going to drive the snot out of it

Old 11-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond reputeSMOKEYBEAR has a reputation beyond repute
That one is signed by Shelby..That registry looks like anyone who builds a clone can get one of those plates.

Becoming a Member

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
That one is signed by Shelby..That registry looks like anyone who builds a clone can get one of those plates.

Becoming a Member
Yup that seems to be the case.
Says it was built here http://www.sportech.co.za/

Is this the car? http://www.sportech.co.za/neweleanor...upersnake.html

Looks like a fun car, it all depends how much they are asking for it.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Mike S
I also was a bit turned off by the auto tranny, but I think it's something I could look past. Original or not, I'm still going to drive the snot out of it
Or change. Going back to a 4 speed couldn't hurt what value it holds. It's been changed 1x already, plus work has already been done to the block.

Quick Reply: Your opinions on a 1967 Shelby GT500E Mustang