Notices
Celebrity Sightings | Clothing | Fashion Spotted! Your Favorite Celebrity and His/Her Automobile & The Fashion & Style Discussion Forum.

I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
M44
Teamspeed Member
M44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond repute
I need opinions

I have a thing going on at school which requires me to dress formally for a day. I need your opinions on what I should wear. I have a black, double breasted suit, which is the base for what I'm wearing. I'm having trouble picking out the dress shirt beneath and the tie. My options are as follows:
Plain white dress shirt
Black Dress Shirt
White with blue stripes shirt with vertical stripes
Dark red/Maroon with discreet maroon lines going vertical
I have 3 ties available,see the pics below for a look at two of the shirts and the ties and tell me which combo would look the best. I am not very fashion minded when it comes to matching shirts and ties and whatnot. I hope some of you can help me out. Thanks, M44
P.S. Sorry about the quality of the pics

Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Unless it's an 80s yuppie theme and you plan on going there in a red E30 convertible, you my friend, are in desperate need of a wardrobe.

The only thing I see that matches is the salmon shirt and the far right tie, but you just can't wear a salmon shirt. Ever.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
From what you've said/shown I'd go with the tie to the right and a plain white shirt. Other jox hits the spot quite well ....

Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Oh...where do I begin...

1. If possible, ditch the double-breasted suit. Rarely does it flatter, unless bespoke.
2. Plain white shirt is your safest bet. Matching is guaranteed.
3. If you must stay with the DB suit, check the tailoring on it. Alterations can go a long way in completing the look.
4. Shoes. Make sure the shoes are in line with the rest of the outfit. May we see the shoes?
5. Ties - the one on the right looks like the lesser of 4 evils presented. I mean no offense.
6. Make sure your shirt collar uses collar stays.

You'll get better at this as time moves on. Invest in a solid two-button flat front suit that FITS you well. Navy blue will be the standard for this.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 PM
M44
Teamspeed Member
M44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond reputeM44 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
Unless it's an 80s yuppie theme and you plan on going there in a red E30 convertible, you my friend, are in desperate need of a wardrobe.

The only thing I see that matches is the salmon shirt and the far right tie, but you just can't wear a salmon shirt. Ever.
So mean..... just kidding, I know my wardrobe (if you can call it that) sucks, I hardly ever have a need to dress formally.

Originally Posted by TUUNER
Oh...where do I begin...

1. If possible, ditch the double-breasted suit. Rarely does it flatter, unless bespoke.
2. Plain white shirt is your safest bet. Matching is guaranteed.
3. If you must stay with the DB suit, check the tailoring on it. Alterations can go a long way in completing the look.
4. Shoes. Make sure the shoes are in line with the rest of the outfit. May we see the shoes?
5. Ties - the one on the right looks like the lesser of 4 evils presented. I mean no offense.
6. Make sure your shirt collar uses collar stays.

You'll get better at this as time moves on. Invest in a solid two-button flat front suit that FITS you well. Navy blue will be the standard for this.

Good luck!!!
Alright thanks,
1. I have a single breasted suit but the trousers got a little messed up in the mud and it hasn't got dry cleaned yet, otherwise I would wear that.
2. Ok, I'll more than likely wear it then.
3. I will
4.Shoes are just plain black dress shoes.
5. Yes, the ties definitely suck
6. I'll make sure it does.

Originally Posted by strebo
From what you've said/shown I'd go with the tie to the right and a plain white shirt. Other jox hits the spot quite well ....
That's two times I've heard that, I think I'll be going with this option.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Throw it all out and start over - seriously. Do you really have to wear a jacket? For most of the school functions/assignments a shirt and tie will be fine.

Every guy should have a basic formal wardrobe, and all it needs to consist of is a few things that fit well. You accumulate this stuff over time, but you should start now. Keep your clothing basic, slim fitting, and tailored if needed (it really isn't that expensive). The details and how you wear it is what competes the look (that is, your shoes, the break in your pants, the tie knot, etc.).

If you have even a little bit of money, I'm sure a few of us could throw up some suggestions on where to go and what to get.

Last edited by M5Kid; 02-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
WTF!? Has TS gone soft on newbs?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox

Wow, I think Jox might have just finally proved he isn't gay. Who knew?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
You guys kill me...go black on black & call it a day.