Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

International price differences on Cayenne/Panamera models

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
International price differences on Cayenne/Panamera models

Hello TS. Been a while since I last posted.

I have a question that some of you might be able to shed some light on. I live in Kuwait and I'm planning on acquiring a new Porsche within the next three months. Tentatively looking at the new Cayenne or Panamera since I'm getting tired of waiting for the 991. What I can't seem to understand is why these cars are so much more expensive here than, say, the United States.

In Kuwait, the V6 Cayenne begins at 19900 Kuwaiti dinars, or 70793.31 United States dollars. Compared to 47700 USD in the US, that's a massive difference. A base Cayenne Turbo is 38600 KWD here, or 137317.57 USD compared to 106000 USD in the US.

More examples:
Panamera V6: 29500 KWD --> 104944.78 USD. US price: 74400 USD.
Panamera 4S: 37400 KWD --> 133048.63 USD. US price: 94700 USD.
Panamera Turbo: 51300 KWD --> 182497.19 USD. US price: 135300 USD.

You get the picture.

With just a smattering of options, a Kuwaiti Panamera Turbo can skyrocket to over 200000 USD! I've tried several absurd configurations on the US site [think 21000 USD Powerkit Turbo, carbon, etc.] and only then did I breach the 200000 mark.

Thoughts as to what's the deal with that? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Porschephile88

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sammydtd is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't buy in Syria then, here's what I paid in dollars

I paid $277,000 for my 4S! And now the price has shot up to $336,000, due to higher taxation on engines above 4 liters! Talk about insane huh?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Multiple reasons.

1. Taxation. Like Sammydtd stated, taxes on automobiles are likely to be higher in Kuwait. Here in the Netherlands we pay VAT of 19% as well as a BPM of 45% over the original price. So a car with an original sticker price of 20,000 Euros will cost a Dutch citizen 32,000 Euros with taxes. As such, a base Cayenne Turbo is priced at 155,000 Euros or 206,000 dollars over here.

2. Volume. There is a higher volume of sales in the US as competition is high amongst car firms. The large number of car brands means that prices are lowered (e.g. Porsche) in order to compete with US based brands. This is not the case in Kuwait.

3. You're used to paying that much for a car in Kuwait. If you raise car prices in the US however, it'd hurt the auto industry as people there aren't used to paying high prices on cars. There is certainly a set amount of price discrimination between the US markets and foreign markets. Thus, prices have to be lower in the US, otherwise no one would buy the cars in the first place.

You'd be perfectly OK paying that much for a Cayenne or Panamera if you didn't know how much cheaper cars cost in the US. It's all relative.

At least, this is what seems to be agreed upon by most.

Last edited by Dutchnick; 01-17-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Kreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond reputeKreissieg has a reputation beyond repute
It's just not Kuwait.
Many countries have different prices for different reasons.
I believe US's car price is one of lowest.

My DD, econo box domestic car(Honda Civic), costs USD$40k in Japan.
USD$100k for Panamera V6 is actually not that bad at all.
You might actually consider yourself lucky to live in Kuwait.

Last edited by Kreissieg; 01-17-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 AM
ExO
Teamspeed Member
ExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura about
Check the chinese prices just to be amazed !

Panamera V6 stock no options ? 171.000 USD ! Want a Turbo ? Be ready to pay 386.000 USD !!

Now look at the Cayenne ... V6 is around 130.000 USD, while the Turbo is already 315.000 USD !

About car prices one of the worst countries I think is Thailand ... Cayenne Turbo is priced over 560.000 USD !!! And Panamera Turbo is 633.000 USD ! Want to jump in the Porsche world with just a Boxster ? 200.000 USD ... That's crazy !

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Come to Singapore...It's pretty Rediculous here as well.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 AM
ExO
Teamspeed Member
ExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura aboutExO has a spectacular aura about
Cayenne Turbo is "only" 332.000 USD there compared to Thailand that's cheap!

Is it me or nearly all asian countries apply crazy taxes on cars ?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ExO
Cayenne Turbo is "only" 332.000 USD there compared to Thailand that's cheap!

Is it me or nearly all asian countries apply crazy taxes on cars ?
Pretty much, especially the ones that are Islands....less space I would guess

Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
uhhh, don't you pay no tax, and basically only pay for water and electricity? And it'll cost you about 20bucks to fill the car up.

Consider yourself lucky.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM
ExO
Teamspeed Member
Well ... paying 20$ instead of 100$ when you bought your Cayenne 560.000 $ instead of 130.000$ (french price) you don't come out well before at least 300.000.000.000 stops at the gas station ^^

Quick Reply: International price differences on Cayenne/Panamera models