Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

Panamera S, Cayenne GTS impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Panamera S, Cayenne GTS impressions

My wife caved and let me go to HBL today to drive a Panamera (finally). I want another car that is more "our" car that we can share, take family, etc. I've been a big fan of the Cayenne GTS for a while, so we did a back-to-back test drive today.

Panamera S - Don't let anyone fool you into thinking only the Turbo is quick. The S is plenty fast, with nice smooth delivery and lots of torque. The car we tested had the sport exhaust and sounded AWESOME. Another interesting thing was the PDK in the Panamera is much more differentiated between Comfort/Sport/Sport Plus than the 911. I could definitely feel the shifts in Sport, while Comfort could have been a torque-converter automatic. Bottom line, DO NOT sell the Panamera short. It's a fantastic car, easily better dynamically and in build quality than a QP or other similarly-priced cars. I was a big A8/S8 fan until I drove this today...

Cayenne GTS - Those of you who've known me for a while may remember when I bought an FX45 over a Cayenne S Titanium a few years back. I was so disappointed with that Cayenne, but I wanted to give the GTS a shot since it's had rave reviews and looks BITCHIN'. First thing I noticed was that it is MUCH quicker than the Cayenne S. The horsepower and torque is definitely noticeable. The second thing I noticed was how well it handled. The GTS we tested did not have PDCC and still didn't roll, squat, or do other usual SUV things. Considering it's about $20-25K cheaper than a comparable Pana 4S, that is very attractive, too. My wife made a good point that we already have some quick cars, but we don't have a "truck".

Bottom line: We need to decide about our finances (I'm up for another gig in LA and another in Stuttgart) and then what our priorities are. I still want my GT3, so we'll be doing some math-fu.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Dont get a Cayenne yet, next year treat yourself to an all new Cayenne Turbo.....the GTS isnt quick enough for me. I'd personally get a GTS if I was craving for a manual cayenne as a daily driver.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
When it comes time......

Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
My wife loves her GTS...although she wants an ML 63 now...

Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
When it comes time......
Definitely. You'll be more excited when it comes time to order the GT3.

Mo - I've driven the Turbo. It's just TOO much. I can't justify spending $30K over the GTS especially considering I wouldn't really that much performance in my "regular" car. It's the same reason I skipped getting a 997TT. The C4S where I live is more than enough.

The big shocker was just how good the Panamera was. The car turned in so great, was so easy to place, etc. The comment people have been making about forgetting it has 4 doors is so accurate. If they make a new 928 based on the Panamera, it should be INCREDIBLE.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I bet when you finally stopped and looked behind you, you were shocked how much CAR is actually- behind you. LOL

She's a big girl that drives like a SMALL, FIESTY one.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:09 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
If they make a 928 which i hope they do, if that time i didnt get a new car..I'd consider it as we had a 928 before, my parents loved it it was a terrific car.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:49 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, what did you think of the way the Panamera looks in person. I know you liked the sound and speed, just wondering how you liked the back end of it.

Originally Posted by STOPPIE
She's a big girl that drives like a SMALL, FIESTY one.
Hey now. Chris' wife is not big. Fiesty yes, but not big.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Watch this space.
LOL @ my wife comments. She's pretty small...

I don't think the back is great, nor do I think it's terrible. It's just there. The rest of the car looks good. The thing I think translates least in photos is just how low and wide it is. It's very sporty. There are certain colors that work very well on it and 20" or bigger rims are a must. There is a gorgeous color called carbon gray. I think that with the blue interior, CF or gray birch trim, and 21" HRE P40s would be sexy as hell. Also, PCCBs look badass on this car.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
I finally saw a Panny in the flesh the other day and thought it looked ok, actually. But that new 928 will surely be a contender for the Maser replacement in a few years when it comes out.

Quick Reply: Panamera S, Cayenne GTS impressions