Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Cayman Won't Start: "Clutch needs to be depressed"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
ttam110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayman Won't Start: "Clutch needs to be depressed"

I have a 2007 porsche cayman that purchased six months ago as a flood car. I bought it as a DIY project. In order to get it up and running, I changed the fused box, relay box, all the computers on board (ECU, Driver assistant module, module inside the trunk, module inside the glovebox, and much more).

Now my problem is that the car does not start. I turn the key, but get the message that the “clutch needs to be depressed.” Obviously I try doing that, but it still gives me that message I checked the two limit switches for the clutch, and they’re look ok.

I should mention that I tried bypassing the switch (theres two, afaik -- a red one and a gray one) as well and still no luck. I even used an Ohm meter and all seems well.

Do I need to take the car to the dealer to reprogram/reflash the ECU to work with the other components? The reason I ask is because I had purchased the different modules and ECU from various places, so I am thinking if that could cause the issue?

Any ideas as to what else I could try?

Thanks in advance…

Last edited by ttam110; 05-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
There is so much to do Im not sure when you will get it running.

Typically that fault is a failed clutch switch. It is the gray one with a yellow wire towards the drivers seat and a brown wire towards the front trunk. They fail all the time.very common.I'd replace that first for simplicity purposes but yes all those control units will have topatients likely be programmed, coded to the car and the automatically coded all through the PIWIS tester at the dealership. I'm still not sold it will all work. Tell them what you have done with the car and the control units aren't original. You'll probably have to pay a few hundred dollars for coding and diagnosis. This most likely won't be a simple process but I hope it will.