Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Cayman S Tracktool

Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Stilling is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayman S Tracktool

We are debating here at home about track cars.

We have a 944 S2, build for the purpose, well rather extreme its more like a real racecar, really fun and extremely racy feel when ever you go to a racetrack and at the same time extremely reliable and cheep.

Now we got our selves a Spyder last year and we have been tracking it a couple of time, what a car i must say and when you look at the times compared to the 944 its just faster without even being near the limits on the Spyder.

So the debate here is to just sell the 944 and use the Spyder instead, but its so rare that car so we come up with another idea.

The 2007/08 Cayman S 3,4 manuel is relatively cheep here, so maybe that could be an option for track days, with a few changes.

I'm thinking, change to at track oriented suspension, lighter seats, carbonfiber front and rear hood, that should be with in 10.000 dollars in mods, wouldn't that be a fantastic car for track days ?

Any idears how much weight ther is to save by that changes and any suggestions ?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
don't expect too much weight loss. Replacing the seats by gfk or carbon buckets will likely save you 10-20 kilogramm a seat. suspesion will take some extra kilogramms off and carbon hoods I can't tell...but no more than 10kg each. What I think would be more important are lightweight track wheels like oz ultraleggera (or try teamdynamics pro race -> way cheaper) because they save quite some unsprung weight, you will feel that more and it makes the car faster. You shouldn't go over 18" thought, bigger is heavier.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sounds like a good idea. I fear that you face a real risk to damage the fine balance in the Cayman, if you are not careful of what you do.

What suspension will be the right to go for Bilstein PSS something ... ?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
well the balance can be tuned to whatever you want with a good suspension anyways. This just depends on how many setup options you want and how much money you wanna spend. You can't go wrong with Bilstein, however nothing tops KW Variant 3 or Clubsport. I did not look it up, but KW + installation + setup should kost around 3k euros.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Terraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura aboutTerraforce1 has a spectacular aura about
^^Great advice from Maxtheone

Have to agree, you won't save much weight, but it's what you do to it that helps. I favour the wheels the most as that will be something you will notice immediately. You'll definitely have to upgrade the brakes, maybe go with AP Racing or whichever brand tickles your fancy.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Thanks for the advice.

Ithink i will go for suspension and wheels and then se how the breaks react, if they get i trouble that will be the first to be changed.

Do you know if all Cayman S from 2006 and up are fitted with this internal dry sump system (not to mistake for a real dry sump) and have mechanic Diff break ?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dry sump i don't know to be honest, but diff was optional...concerning the brakes: i wouln't necessarely say that you need to replace them, porsche brakes are great, combine them with the right tires and maybe add some track brake pads and you should be fine for the moment as the cayman is not the fastest on the straight and is quite light, the brakes won't be that stressed

Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
The tracks i attend are mostly turns, think the longest straight is about 600 meters. so not that much use for at fast car on the straight.
Well i visit Nürburgring from time to time to but its not more that once a year.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura about
OP. You can definitely decrease the unsprung weight but adding lighter wheels and two piece rotors. In terms of weight reduction, this should be your first step.

Carbon fiber peices really don't decrease a lot of weight on aluminum shell cars. Many factory aluminum hoods weight less than the carbon fiber replacement hoods that people buy (i.e. Honda S2000).

If you have never track prepped a car before, I would suggest you purchase a less expensive car to learn with.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Have that experience with my 944.

I think you are right about my attention on the Cayman should be at the wheels and suspension, and take it from there maybe its all i really need to do. Our Speedster is so incredible fine balanced, i really believe that you are at greater risk of f...... it all up on a Cayman.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman S Tracktool