Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

2014 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by z356
Carrera, I have to remind you that the original 550 Spyder was anything but an entry level model for Porsche. It was a race car primarily for the track and for those with the means to afford it. At the time, it was probably the most expensive Porsche the factory could sell you. It was light but not low power, hardly fuel efficient and yes, fun & agile. Don't see the connection of this new model to the original 550. Nor the current R (cayman) to the 67 original 911 by that moniker.

I do understand the marketing boys raiding the heritage of Porsche in search of model names to copy & re-use, but it doesn't mean we have to applaud what they are doing, which many think is devaluing the brand & it's glorious past. The only one I fully approve is the name for my newest model, the Spyder, but I am a little biased. z356
I believe the CGT was meant to mimic the 550 Spyder of the 50's.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I believe the CGT was meant to mimic the 550 Spyder of the 50's.
I don't know of a Carrera GT that has been raced in a competitive race - amateur or professional. At least, none come to mind right now. Just about every owner of the original 550 Spyders actually raced their cars back then. That to me is a major difference between today's CGT and yesterday's 550 Spyder. Saludos, z356

Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by z356
I don't know of a Carrera GT that has been raced in a competitive race - amateur or professional. At least, none come to mind right now. Just about every owner of the original 550 Spyders actually raced their cars back then. That to me is a major difference between today's CGT and yesterday's 550 Spyder. Saludos, z356
Because there wasn't a ton of race specific cars back then. 599GTO Ferrari no different.

The cars mid engine looks and balance are very close. Very close.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche just needs to drop that flat-4 into a new 356 that looks like the old one, but with modern running gear, brakes, etc. Keep the weight down to 2200 lbs or so. I'd buy one.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Rolex Fanboy
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Porsche just needs to drop that flat-4 into a new 356 that looks like the old one, but with modern running gear, brakes, etc. Keep the weight down to 2200 lbs or so. I'd buy one.
I would as well.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Thats what the new 550 should really be. I love the 356 second only to the 550. I would love to see a totally retro looking car but with modern mechanical components. I'm sure they'd sell out in no time.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JuiceBox
Thats what the new 550 should really be. I love the 356 second only to the 550. I would love to see a totally retro looking car but with modern mechanical components. I'm sure they'd sell out in no time.
Precisely. If they did a 4-year run and sold 2500 units a year, they'd sell every single one. It would be amazing...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
navanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the roughnavanoD is a jewel in the rough
IMHO, the CGI is all wrong.
All it illustrates is a Boxster Spyder with the Carrera GT wing, 991 plate cut out and side mirrors, and odd vents on the Spyder rear hatch. The lights are modified 991.

Carrera, I've love your other work, but this isn't my fav. I just think the real deal will be a lot more simple and pure in design... Remember this is a entry/low cost car (Porsche standards).

Honestly this project mimics the 914 more than the 550. The idea of a 550 has more desire though, but I agree with z356. The intention of the 550 was a expensive small lightweight mid-engined race car. This so called new 550 Porsche is as you mentioned a inexpensive, light, fun sports car which is a joint project with VW. Exactly what the 914 was.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by navanoD; 10-01-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Carrera - A for effort man, but i am not feeling this all that much.

Chris from Cali - yes, Yes, YES!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
not really a fan. I bet the price point will make more then a few ppl scratch their head and point "why would I get that, when I can have that!" (pointing to a sweet CPO 911)

Quick Reply: 2014 550 Spyder to get 1.9-liter Flat 4