Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Cayman R VS Boxster Spyder - differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 AM
CCH
Teamspeed Rookie
CCH is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks to the replies ~ ^^..

another question.. whats the differences between the engines?

i assume the 3.4 liter engine has a lot more potential than the factory settings... look at those black editions.. adding 10hp everytime.. lol

is it just because porsche wanted to make a difference between the two..? so they set a 10 hp difference.. or does it really has something difference between the engines ? @@

Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CCH
thanks to the replies ~ ^^..

another question.. whats the differences between the engines?

i assume the 3.4 liter engine has a lot more potential than the factory settings... look at those black editions.. adding 10hp everytime.. lol

is it just because porsche wanted to make a difference between the two..? so they set a 10 hp difference.. or does it really has something difference between the engines ? @@
The Cayman R and Boxster Spyder have the same engine, but the Cayman R has some upgrades to the exhaust (relating to pressure, if I can recall). So the Boxster Spyder has 320hp, while the Cayman R has 330hp. I assume Porsche did this because all Cayman models hold a 10hp premium over there Boxster counterparts. I.E:
  • Boxster:255hp Cayman:265hp
  • Boxster S:310hp Cayman S:320hp
  • Boxster Spyder:320hp Cayman R:330hp
  • Boxster Black:320hp Cayman Black:330hp

Last edited by Carrera; 06-21-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Spyder: on sunny days you can get a tan
Cayman R: on sunny days you CANT get a tan

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Spyder: on sunny days you can get a tan
Cayman R: on sunny days you CANT get a tan

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Kwy_R8 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
The Boxster Spyder looks so so much sexier!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Member
sbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura aboutsbyang has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by littlebulldogg

Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by z356
So quiet that in fact you can't tell us what these 'changes' are, right Carrera? As soon as you find out from your sources at the secret bunker under Weissach, please enlighten the rest of us what EXACTLY are the R's superior suspension changes over the Spyder's! We know they differ from the normal Cayman S...but the Spyders??? Saludos, z356 (Carmel).
Carrera: Here is the little bit of information I couldn't talk about earlier since I had some advance knowledge that Excellence was working on this Cayman R vs Spyder test.

Excellence :: Open and Shut Case: Track Test : Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder

Like all, I will have to wait until the full article comes out at the beginning of October to read the entire report. But I think that Johannes comments in the video speak volumes about the Spyder in relationship to the Cayman R. Like you pointed out, I have been a big proponent of the Cayman R and have posted favorably on it in many previous posts. However, in the end, I decided to go with a Spyder simply because I thought it was one of the most attractive visual designs Porsche has produced in a long time. The fact now that it's handling is not overshadowed by the Cayman R is just icing on the cake!

My Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red interior Spyder arrived at my home about a week ago. Enclosed is a photo. In order to to duplicate the same post in different forums, those interested in this color combination & specs can find out more details at the following thread at Rennlist:

ttp://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/987-forum/654447-my-aqua-blue-metallic-carrera-red-12-spyder-tale-of-a-custom-order.html

In that thread, I am trying to explain fully the entire custom ordering process, which could be equally applied to any other model you are thinking of ordering from Porsche. I hope some of you find it useful.

Saludos, z356

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the article! I had sort of a feeling you were holding back on something judging by some of your posts before and after that one!

You're Spyder is absolutely gorgeous! I love the red headlight washer. And honestly, in the end like you, I'd end up choosing the Spyder.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
As i have said time and time again --- the Spyder is so amazingly perfect in its style and shape i could care less what the spring rates and track times are.

z356, your car is so perfect -- i must have read that thread on Rennlist 5 times this weekend while pretending to be listening to my girlfriend

To the OP --- have you made a decision on which one you will buy?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Eduardo - Your car came out beautifully! Felicidades! I'm off to Rennlist for a few minutes to read up...

Quick Reply: Cayman R VS Boxster Spyder - differences