Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Boxster | Cayman (https://teamspeed.com/forums/boxster-cayman/)
-   -   Cayman R VS Boxster Spyder - differences (https://teamspeed.com/forums/boxster-cayman/60514-cayman-r-vs-boxster-spyder-differences.html)

CCH 06-15-2011 11:32 PM

Cayman R VS Boxster Spyder - differences

Hi guys,

Recently my friend and I got a Cayman R and Boxster Spyder.

We were just wondering what exacly was different between these 2 cars.. and often argues about them since my friend kept on showing off how his R is better than mine with those specs.. lol..

anyways..
Of course we knew the differnces with the roof ... but other than the look design, are there any differences with the engine (10hp differences), weight, suspensions, platforms .. etc ?

please help ~ ^^

I'll post some pix up soon ~

Carrera 06-16-2011 07:24 AM

Here are some things that I found that are mechanically different between the two.
  • The weight of either car depends on optional equipment, but before any options, the Boxster Spyder weighs 2,811, and the Cayman R weighs 2,855.
  • The Spyder reaches peak horse power at 7,200rpm, while the Cayman R does it at 7,400.
  • On paper, the Cayman R has slightly better performance, and is presumed as the better handling car.
  • The Cayman R's suspension is superior to the Cayman S' or Boxster Spyders. Though Porsche made significant changes to the suspension, they were very quiet about these.
  • When it comes to weight loss, the cars share many of the same weight loss techniques.
  • The Cayman R has a slightly larger fuel tank.
I'm sure there are many other things, but I would bet most of these things even listed aren't important. It seems the Cayman R is marginally the better car, while the Boxster Spyder is the more exciting car. Personally, I'd take the more exciting car. ;)

ZEM930 06-16-2011 11:11 AM

Love them both! I was told the Cayman R has the same front control arms as the GT3.

Carrera they are that light but I had no idea that light! I like them both even more now :)

z356 06-17-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carrera (Post 995388)
[*]The Cayman R's suspension is superior to the Cayman S' or Boxster Spyders. Though Porsche made significant changes to the suspension, they were very quiet about these.

So quiet that in fact you can't tell us what these 'changes' are, right Carrera? As soon as you find out from your sources at the secret bunker under Weissach, please enlighten the rest of us what EXACTLY are the R's superior suspension changes over the Spyder's! We know they differ from the normal Cayman S...but the Spyders??? Saludos, z356 (Carmel).

Carrera 06-17-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by z356 (Post 996721)
So quiet that in fact you can't tell us what these 'changes' are, right Carrera? As soon as you find out from your sources at the secret bunker under Weissach, please enlighten the rest of us what EXACTLY are the R's superior suspension changes over the Spyder's! We know they differ from the normal Cayman S...but the Spyders??? Saludos, z356 (Carmel).

Because of the Cayman R's closed top and rigid body, Hans-Jürgen, the chief of Porsche's mid engine cars, said that they were able to push the Cayman R's chassis to it's 100% full potential, where the Boxster Spyder only reaches about 90% of it. The spring rates of the R are about 5-10% stiffer than the Spyders, and there are shock absorbers and a torsion bar exclusive to the Cayman R.

Chris from Cali 06-17-2011 08:25 PM

Carrera - Let me give you a piece of advice before you dig the hole deeper...

Know your audience.

Carrera 06-17-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali (Post 996731)
Carrera - Let me give you a piece of advice before you dig the hole deeper...

Know your audience.

Thanks for the advice Chris. ;)

But what surprises me is, I just realized he is the one who posted the thread where I found that information at! :lol:

Chris from Cali 06-17-2011 08:40 PM

The world is a place full of wonder!

Carrera 06-17-2011 09:03 PM

While we're on the subject of the Boxster Spyder...

YouTube - ‪Porsche Boxster Spyder - Testdrive | MYPO. | Porsche Zentrum Lübeck | ADAC FSZ Hansa‬‏

I wouldn't say the best Porsche ever, but the Boxster Spyder is perfect. No flaws whatsoever.

z356 06-17-2011 10:30 PM

I apologize Carrera. In fact, I was there at the bunker with Herr Jurgen when the information was released on the Cayman R...thus my earlier reports. Now that I am just back from Omaha Beach on a pilgrimage to our fallen heroes buried there, I am still shell shocked & my memory is failing me. To make sure I get all of this straight, I have ordered a MY2012 Spyder that should be produced in the last week of July (near end of production) and will be stateside in late August. Will report then. Saludos, Eduardo (Carmel)