Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Nearly made a BIG MISTAKE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009 | 01:01 PM
|
Teamspeed Rookie
malc1952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nearly made a BIG MISTAKE!

Last September I decided an Audi R8 was for me, had driven a new Gen 2 911 and was not impressed, my 2006 Cayman S so much better, but I wanted a change so I ordered a new R8 V8 for delivery in September 2009.

Two weeks ago with the launch of the R8 V10 my dealer told me that the V8 production had been stopped to cater for the V10s and that Audi UK had no idea when they would be able to supply but I might get a V10 if I ordered by February 20th.

Then just by chance last Thursday I was close to Reading (Porsche UK Headquarters) so I called in just to see if they had a new Cayman, to make sure that the R8 was the right decision. It must have been fate because sitting in the showroom was a Gen 2 Cream White Cayman S on 19" Carrera S wheels and it looked just fantastic!

I then spent the next 2 hours with one of the best car salespeople I have ever met (and I have met a few, having had over 50 new cars!), what Craig did not know was not worth knowing and his enthusiam and fun factor was inspiring.

If you are close to Reading go take a look at that colour, in my opinion it is just fantastic, a retro colour on a new car, and more importantly go for a chat with Craig, he is a star, when Top Gear are looking for a new team member he has to be the number one choice.

Nearly forgot to mention the sound of the new DFI engine, wonderful!

Sorry Audi, a new Cream White Cayman S with PDK will be replacing my much lover Guards Red Cayman S sometime during the next 6 to 9 months.

Malc

Old 02-15-2009 | 01:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the TEAM!

Thanks for posting your experience. It is always nice when a buyer finds the right car.

But I have to ask: After driving both cars, did you really feel that the Cayman and the R8 are in the same class? The V10 R8 - one of the best cars to come out in the past 5-years IMHO - should absolutely crush the Cayman performance wise. And while they both look great, the R8 has more dramatic styling. Also, the R8 seems so much more exclusive and has a different cache than the Cayman. I see 15-20 Caymans a week. I see maybe 1 R8 a month.

You must have really been impressed by that car. Do you plan to modify it at all? Keep us posted and show us pics when the car arrives.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
That's quite a change of heart you had... and a huge difference in price!

Pre-owned V8 R8's will drop in price significantly once the V10 is out.

Old 02-15-2009 | 02:23 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the TEAM!

Old 02-15-2009 | 02:45 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome!

I have a 987.1 Cayman (base) and I love it, too. I have never been a fan of the R8 (I think it'll looked seriously dated in 5-6 years). The new Cayman is mighty tempting - congrats. Post pics when you get it...

Old 02-15-2009 | 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'd still like to think the R8 (even the V8 model) would be more fun than the Cayman. More power to you for thinking otherwise though. Congrats on the new purchase! Make sure to post up some pics when the Cayman arrives!

Welcome to the team, by the way!