Notices
Bentley | Rolls Royce | Land Rover Continental GT, GTC, Flying Spur, Arnage, Azure, Brooklands, Phantom & Land Rover Discussion Forum.

Disco Series II Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
A land cruiser will go anywhere a series II will go and then some! If you want off-road abilities get a series 80 (up to '97) as the was the last LC with front and rear solid axles. They also had locking differentials front and rear as a factory option.

If you want a little more comfort go for a 90 or 100 series land cruiser.

Our 80 series is mainly used as a hunting vehicle / farm truck and is unstoppable. As my buddies are on their four wheelers I'm following in air conditioning and leather seats keeping up just fine.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
keprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are great, thanks for the thoughts and opinions! We will definitely be pursuing the landcruiser option

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
I currently have a 2002 disco and I love it. I have had no problems, and it is about to roll 89k. I used to work at a LR centre for 6 years, back when these were being sold new. They definitely did have some problems, from what I remember the employees at solihul were on strike or almost about to go on strike or something. That being said, if you get one that has been well maintained, It should be fine. Problem is, a lot of people didn't maintain them. They are built on an old alu engine, if you didn't change the oil religiously it would cake over. A lot of people forgot to get the prop shaft lubed which meant it would fail and take the transmission down with it. Going to a LR service centre does cost a lot, but parts are reasonable at Atlantic British website. I have had a 90s land cruiser, and I loved that car, but for me the disco is the winner. I love the absurd boxy styling, high driving position, and unique rugged look. It is a car I had always wanted. It seems like you are off the disco, but if you're still looking, don't get a 2003 without going online and checking if the engine is in the VIN range for oil pump failure = new engine. It does only get 13MPG but if you are looking at SuVs that shouldn't bother u ( my LC was worse, but was lifted with huge tires).

Here is the only pic I could find ..

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
keprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond repute
Teutonic, thanks for the great info! My wife and I are still looking, and we both love the land rovers, we are just trying to decide if it's worth the potential maintenance costs :-)