Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

No Blue Angels this year

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond repute
I saw these guys at an air show years ago down in El Centro CA and you just assume they just pull these stunts perfect every time. Thank god no one was killed.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
I used to "work" a lot of airshows, and in doing so, I got to be in that patch of grass that separates runways. I had to be out prior to show start, and because of FAA regs, had to stay out there during the entire show. Which meant that I got to be DIRECTLY under these guys as they did their thing.

The margin of error that these guys operate under, at high speeds is nothing short of staggering.

Now... they're ground crews... there another story... I've lost count how many fights I've gotten into with them because I got dust on the jets. I'm not kidding...
If you've ever been to an airshow and seen something blow up, it was probably me blowing it up. And apparently, the crews don't want any dust on their birds...

Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
That was definitely a close call. Good on the commander for calling a safety stand down while they figure out exactly how to prevent that same mistake from happening again. As that article mentions, the Thunderbirds lost four pilots in a similar mishap back in the 80s. When in formation, the two wings and the slot pilot are all flying in reference to the lead. If the lead flys them into the ground (as what happened with the Thunderbirds) it can get them all killed.

Hopefully we'll see them back in the air by the time they are scheduled to show at Pax River this fall.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
That was seriously low, a very dangerous altitude to be pulling out of a maneuver like that. It's good to debrief, and learn from the mistake, but it's terrible that they canceled the rest of the air show season. I wonder if they will make it to Airventure this year, after all it is the Navy's 100th anniversary.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Super Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond repute
Jesus.

I've seen both the Angels and the Thunderbirds at local shows. It's incredible. It's hard to believe that those pilots can actually fit their balls in those cockpits.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Saw them last july in during the cherryfest in traverse city. Got a chance to be on our ship which was used as the centerpiece. One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed up close and personal.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I remember well when they crashed in 1982.

They used to train at Nellis AFB outside of Vegas all the time.