Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Whats the rundown on flying lessons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Whats the rundown on flying lessons?

What should I expect cost wise? What are my options? Something I'm thinking about taking up. My office is 5 minutes from a private airport I can run over in the evenings after work and I think it would be a lot of fun.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
What should I expect cost wise? What are my options? Something I'm thinking about taking up. My office is 5 minutes from a private airport I can run over in the evenings after work and I think it would be a lot of fun.
Depends on the type of aircraft (and how it's equipped) but mainly cost control is in your hands as the the student.

Federal Aviation Regulations say you need 40 hrs of training. The industry average right now is 50-60 hours before you are ready for the practical test.

We tell our students they should commit to flying at least once per week, if not twice. Any less than that and you waste time (and money) relearning forgotten material and skills from previous lessons.

If you fly 1-2x per week, you should be able to get your license in 6-8 months. Costs "should" be somewhere in the $6-$8k range by the time you are finished.

Congrats on the decision to pursue your license! It is a decision you will not regret!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
Expect about 8k for your VFR rating, it all depends on the aircraft you rent. Some can go for as low as $80/hr + $35/hr instructor or you can get a $200/hr +$50/hr instructor, it just really depends on different factors.
One suggestion that I think you would benefit from is if you take the Written Exam prior to learning how to fly. I had 3 friends do it with me, and all 3 of them said when they were actually flying and learning with the instructor, it was so much easier because they had the book knowledge to understand better, rather than spend extra hours trying to grasp the task at hand.
just my $.02.

Best of luck, I need to get up there and do some hours, I believe I have another year before my written exam expires :/

Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alkyoneus
Expect about 8k for your VFR rating, it all depends on the aircraft you rent. Some can go for as low as $80/hr + $35/hr instructor or you can get a $200/hr +$50/hr instructor, it just really depends on different factors.
One suggestion that I think you would benefit from is if you take the Written Exam prior to learning how to fly. I had 3 friends do it with me, and all 3 of them said when they were actually flying and learning with the instructor, it was so much easier because they had the book knowledge to understand better, rather than spend extra hours trying to grasp the task at hand.
just my $.02.

Best of luck, I need to get up there and do some hours, I believe I have another year before my written exam expires :/
I agree with this. Having the written done up front is a huge benefit. You may want to ask if the flight school has a ground school that you can attend to knock this out first.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Noted guys I appreciate that suggestion. Is there anywhere I can get the literature or is it a class room type program for the written test?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Full of Win.
Noted guys I appreciate that suggestion. Is there anywhere I can get the literature or is it a class room type program for the written test?
You can do it either way, depending on what type of student you are. Several places like Sportys, Gleim, King Schools, etc. sell test prep materials that will teach you the material and prep you for the test. The Gleim material even includes practice test software. Or, if you learn better in a classroom environment, see if the flight school does an actual ground school, or see if one is being hosted in your area.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
If you want extra materials, the Sporty's videos really helped me out.
I took a 3 day crunch class at Amercian Flyers. If you just want to get it out of the way.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned
Whats the general consensus on the King Schools materials?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Full of Win.
Whats the general consensus on the King Schools materials?
Their materials are good, though you have to get used to their sense of humor which is prevalent throughout. They have a video that walks you through an actual private pilot oral exam and check ride, which I found VERY helpful. Took away the mystery of check ride day.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned
I've watched a few of his You Tube videos and I can get the sense of Humor. Thinking about getting the DVD set for the Cessna Program and getting my feet wet.

Quick Reply: Whats the rundown on flying lessons?