Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Vantage N420 v. V12

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to behold
Vantage N420 v. V12

I have driven a Vantage V12 on the street and on the track, but only have driven the N420 on the track in automatic. I wanted to see if anyone has driven both on the street (both in manual) and if you could provide some comparions. I love the V12...the sound, the feel, the look, but the mpg is horrible. I know that sounds dumb for a car like the V12, but in the end, I dont want to be making two trips to the gas station a week. Anyone have a fair comparison of one against the other.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have driven the 4.7 in stick but not a 420. The difference is huge. The 4.7 is a great car, don't get me wrong but with the sports button depressed the V12 feels like it could leave the ground. The 420 is a great looking car and if there were no V12, I would have a 420 roadster. By the way, I am getting about 13-15 MPG in the V12. I got about 16-17 in the 4.3 Vantage. So unless you are driving 300 miles a week you aren't going to save a whole lot at the pump.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to beholdjengleco is a splendid one to behold
Thanks...I am driving around 250 miles per week. I loved the demo of the V12. I couldnt think of a more beutiful and great sounding car. I was just trying to see if the feel beyond power was the same in the N420 versus the V12...also are the side sills the same in N420 and V12? Thanks again for the insight

Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
No, the side sills on the V12 are sharper and angle into the wheel well. The 420's sills are wider at the point and curve upwards around the wheel. By the way, if you're going to put 12-13,000 miles on this car a year, I would consider a sports shift and I would be looking for a used or left over. That kind of mileage murders value and I don't think I would be wanting to drive a 6speed like that. Then again, if I had a great stretch of road every day that wasn't inundated with traffic, my drive would be the best part of my day.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
famoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget the N420 is really not that different to a regular vantage, it's good marketing. Vantage with sports pack and optional sports exhaust is the same, maybe n420 has a different ECU map. Obviously you have more carbon, logo'd seats etc though.

Either way V12 all the way.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
V12 vantage, how can you resist a small sports car with a V12 + 6speed manual ?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Member
m7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished roadm7mmed MD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
V12 vantage, how can you resist a small sports car with a V12 + 6speed manual ?
I am with you, but will there be a successor to V12 Vantage? and when?
anyway I will still buy one.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
There is no ECU program or HP gain. Actually, the weight savings is also minimal. The car is sharper better finished 4.7 sports pack. In fact, if I remember there is a savings of close to $5000 in options to get the package over speccing the car. So in many ways it's a great deal and you have the best looking V8 IMO.

As far as a successor to the V12V, I wouldn't expect one. AM is looking to move forward with lighter cars that are more efficient. From what I have heard, the next generation of cars will be sleeker and have more tech features. I'm sure direct fuel injection and some other engine management will find it's way in. I wouldn't be surprised to see a marginally more powerful V8 that will come close to the V12 because of weight savings and better engineering. AM is a bit behind in development. If there is a relationship formed with Mercedes a lot of things will change. Remember, the basis of these engines s left over from the Ford technology that is nearly 10 years old. Compare that with the last ten years at Porsche. I am looking forward to seeing the future but having said that, there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to own a V12V.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m7mmed MD
I am with you, but will there be a successor to V12 Vantage? and when?
anyway I will still buy one.
In a very long time, expect nothing within the next 3-4years.