Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Lotus stuns Paris with six new models

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Renovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by U-Boat Commander
I actually think these new cars look more like what a Lotus should look like, rather than the current crop of insect-mobiles.
Nonsense. A Lotus should look like a damn Lotus, not some S2000 meets Aston bar of soap that is nearly indistinguishable across 4+ cars.

Lotus has a very lengthy heritage of styling cues across all the cars they've made-- each of which are quite different in appearance and performance save for those styling cues (the "smiley face" radiator intake being the big one). These silly things are a complete departure from those cars. The Elise looks nothing like an Elise, Esprit nothing like an Esprit, Elan has about as much in common with an Elan as a refrigerator, and so on.

And that's just the styling aspect. The performance is also laughable. They added half a ton of weight to the Elise, which will entirely ruin what made that car special and unique in the market. With those weight figures, the only concept with a reasonable amount of power suggested is the Esprit, and who knows what final form that'll actually take.

This is an extremely stupid place for Lotus to go-- they can not compete with Aston, Porsche and other sports/luxury brands, and it's no small wonder said brands are laughing their asses off.

If Lotus continues down this path, they're doomed.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Renovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond repute
Simba I actually share some off you well spoken points. I would hate to see Lotus to become the next TVR. Having that said, I believe that one has to reset the perseption what a Lotus was, atleast esthetically and value it for its performance. I know that will be a tall order and will be the defenitive doom or gloom factor.

If they can actually produce machines that perform, understanding performance as key factor, vs good value for money they could pull it off.

I still belive that this was a all in poker play without knowing what the first cards delt would be.

I trully get the sayings that with big risk big rewards could be achieved, and the famous quote that fortune favors the bold. But I belive that they are looking more at the big sale proyections they have rather than there established consumers.

Big hit or miss, hope for the best.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
If Lotus continues down this path, they're doomed.
^^^This. Couldn't agree more.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
agreed, they all look the same...very uninspiring and that is coming from a huge Lotus fan.

The Esprit was an evocative, gorgeous shape when it came out in 77/78...the current one is a Aston/reventon/cookie cutter hybrid...truly disappointing in pics (we'll see what the final iteration looks like)

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
I do like the new esprit.

unfortunately only the enthusiasts will appreciate the Lotus philosophy, and sadly there r not many out there. I think today more ppl cares about horsepower and technology then how their cars feel and handle.. Lotus needs to attract a wider audience to ensure its survival. They need to make money too..

Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Renovatiopr
If they can actually produce machines that perform, understanding performance as key factor, vs good value for money they could pull it off.
Unfortunately, Lotus of late has done the exact opposite. The Evora is an over-priced, over-weight, under-performing dog. The only thing it has going for it is it actually looks interesting.

Looks to me like they're doing the exact opposite of what they need to grow and prosper due to the delusions of grandeur of management and the newly hired designers.

I've loved Lotus and everything they stand for since my first-- a 1969 Elan. I relate more with what that company was than any other in the automotive world-- I love what they do, I love that only they do it, and I love that they've built some of the most evocative cars for drivers the world has ever seen.

However, if you put any of this new crap beside a 911 Turbo or V12 Vantage, hell if I'm not driving one of those home instead.

Last edited by Simba; 10-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sk8boy
Lotus needs to attract a wider audience to ensure its survival. They need to make money too..
Yes they do. And the way to do that is to actually market the brand, which they have been almost comically bad at for decades.

The solution to Lotus' growth is not to reinvent themselves as Aston-lite and court the glitter car crowd-- it's to market the damn things to people who don't have the first clue what Lotus is.

When was the last time you saw a Lotus ad or product placement, anywhere?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Both of us are having a similar discussion like I had with Meanmachine. We both are in the same page and even thou I am not optimistic with the brand outlook, well you have a worst outlook and the other poster had a better one. I feel like the middle of the sandwich LOL!!!

Believe me I really do not like the Evora since it does not represent what the formal representation. or at least in my mind, is. So we are at the same page.

What it is fair enough or at least what it is left for us, is to see what really is to come out of this. The market, as always, will dictate the outcome of their so called vision.

Lotus for me means a lot in the motorsport heritage even thou I have never owned one. By the way I congratulate you and wish you could all share the experience with your late Elan, you know that is the end of this forum after all. I would hate to see the doom of Lotus since I really have a passion, not as actual core brand consumers, but it represent a lot and well hope for the best.

I decided to skip all the buzz created from this auto show, since I am not particularity in love with it ( maybe because I am not in the page with management). And will make my mind as the models roll in to the dealerships and have real world data, not just some media propaganda.

As for know I will remain concern for one of the brands I really like.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
you mean I cannot get a Lotus coupon from my Sunday newspaper?? you are right, i don't think Lotus have much of a marketing dept.

Quick Reply: Lotus stuns Paris with six new models