Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Fully carbon Elise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rfedele
I read elsewhere that it was real CF, that it cost nearly the price of the car to do the body panels and it only saved 80 lbs?
Not hardly. Here's the company that makes the carbon clams. About 5k for both, a few grand more for the various other bits.

As well, pulling 80 pounds off of a ~1,900 pound car is not insignificant.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
... I have a feeling its just a wrap or something similar...
+ 1
just look at the 3rd pic...

Last edited by GrayTT; 01-19-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rfedele
I read elsewhere that it was real CF, that it cost nearly the price of the car to do the body panels and it only saved 80 lbs?
keep in mind all panels were composite to begin with, so really not much weight to be taken off

Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Not hardly. Here's the company that makes the carbon clams. About 5k for both, a few grand more for the various other bits.

As well, pulling 80 pounds off of a ~1,900 pound car is not insignificant.
according to that site, not even close to 30K. sounds like a ridiculous claim to try and make it sound crazier. a few grand here and there isn't bad though for the pieces. Id buy em

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
It really does look like it's just a wrap with a carbon print.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
~30 grand to save 80 pounds? At least his brain doesn't weigh much.
Good one!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
keep in mind all panels were composite to begin with, so really not much weight to be taken off
They're fiberglass. Prepreg CF is a lot lighter than fiberglass.

To clarify-- this one may indeed be wrapped, but CF clams and all of the other parts (roof, doors, front covers, etc) are all available in carbon.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
AlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud ofAlX Boi has much to be proud of
I've never found the Elise to be a much of a looker, but hot damn. The cf gives this car a completely different look.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jox
~30 grand to save 80 pounds? At least his brain doesn't weigh much.
did you ever think maybe his intention was not to save weight, or money isn't really an issue to him?

I personally like the look of naked carbon, and if money were no object to me, i'd do it on my Range Rover...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SRatha
did you ever think maybe his intention was not to save weight, or money isn't really an issue to him?

I personally like the look of naked carbon, and if money were no object to me, i'd do it on my Range Rover...

me too

Quick Reply: Fully carbon Elise.