Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

G55 vs. Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
G55 vs. Cayenne Turbo?

Which do you choose?

Bought a 09 G55 this past October - love this truck more than anything. Its the greatest vehicle made - I wish it had a few more "options" - but the truth is, you either love this car, or hate this car. I fall heavily into the love catagory.

I got a major deal on my G55 - it was end of the model year and if you recall, no one could sell a free happy meal in October 2009 let alone a $120,000 G55. So let's just say I stole it.

I'm now being offered about $2K more than I paid for the truck. I have 8,000 miles on it. Do I keep it like I intended to for the next ump-teen years or do I move on, to the newest iteration of the 911 SUV?

Thoughts, opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

asg

Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Test drive the Cayenne, I personally like the G-class more as it has more character, unique and the there is nothing like it out there. On the other hand the Cayenne Turbo is an SUV like many X5M, ML63 etc.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond repute
I had a G55 once for a tour of Ireland. Loved it. But it's not a new Cayenne - take one for a drive and then you'll know for yourself... Lovely problem to have.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo, no question. It's like a G55 but it goes around corners too.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
EVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond repute
G55 in terms of looks/rarity and a commanding presence, Cayenne for daily driving and practicality.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Wow - I didnt think in the AMG forum more guys would vote turbo - Small sample size though....

The new Cayenne is pretty sweet. Its actually a steal if you look at prices of the Panny Turbo and 911 Turbo - For about $115K you have one super vehicle!

G55 wins in the Cache dept - after a few months of driving, you learn what the car can handle. In a straight line, its a beast.

Its like the Ferrari 612 of "sporty" SUV's - goes really fast in a straight line!

Its a really tough decision for me - I love this G55 - I love the interior of the cayenne. I have to drive it some more....

Thanks!

asg

Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
I can "see" the appeal of the G55 and I can totally understand why people love it. But on the other hand, looking at the hard facts it all comes down to deciding between a glorified tractor with a supercharger versus perhaps the quickest, most modern and capable car in its segment. It's like deciding between a 67 Camaro and a new E63 AMG. Facts and figures can't pick one for you. So I will. Buy a Cayenne

Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
I can "see" the appeal of the G55 and I can totally understand why people love it. But on the other hand, looking at the hard facts it all comes down to deciding between a glorified tractor with a supercharger versus perhaps the quickest, most modern and capable car in its segment. It's like deciding between a 67 Camaro and a new E63 AMG. Facts and figures can't pick one for you. So I will. Buy a Cayenne
Nicely said.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!cartunes You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
stick with the g55, to many cayennes out there. the g55 is mean and aggressive and you already do love it

Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Marcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these partsMarcus Frost is infamous around these parts
IMO they simply do not compare. The Cayenne is a competitor to the ML class, not the G. When it boils down to it, there is almost nothing in the world like a G55. The Cayenne is a pedistrian SUV that yes, handles and accelerates well. The G55 is not a pedistrian SUV.

The character, unique nature, and overall package the G-Class delivers simply puts it in a league of it's own, IMO. I would never even consider trading it for even a 1000hp Cayenne. It is simply not the same type of truck. I respect the Cayenne as I have friends who rave about it, but honestly this is comparing apples with oranges.

You look through some of the picture threads that have G-Classes from all over the world... from retired military units in the Falkland islands, to the Russian secret service... to middle east sand dunes... to Patagonian river beds... you know why you own a G.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 07-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: G55 vs. Cayenne Turbo?