Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Mercedes to debut new MCT transmission (similar to M-DCT)

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Mercedes to debut new MCT transmission (similar to M-DCT)

MCT Transmission – The Best of Both Worlds

Providing the direct feedback of a manual transmission with the total convenience of an automatic, the new seven-speed MCT with AMG Speedshift is an all-new design available only in the new SL63 AMG. Featuring seven speeds, four shift modes and a double-clutching function, the MCT transmission offers impressive versatility and even faster shift times.

At the heart of the new AMG Speedshift MCT seven-speed sports transmission is a new start-up clutch, which runs in an oil bath and replaces a conventional torque converter. Thanks to its low rotational mass, the start-up clutch helps the transmission respond instantaneously and dynamically with no slip.

Fitted with four drive modes: "C" (Comfort), "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual), the transmission provides customized shift control for maximum driving pleasure, and does so with no interruption of power. In Comfort mode, smooth shifts coupled with a "soft" accelerator response are set up for silky smooth power transfer. In Sport mode, the engine and transmission interact quicker – upshifts and downshifts take place at higher engine speed. Gearshifts are around 20 percent faster than in Comfort mode. Switching to the Sport Plus mode cuts another 20 percent off shift times, while the sportiest mode, Manual, reduces shifting times by another 10 percent – a total reduction of 50 percent compared with Comfort mode. In Manual mode, the gearshifts take just 100 milliseconds.

Ultra-fast, spontaneous multiple downshifts are another forte of the new MCT sports transmission. For instance, kickdown will shift directly from seventh down to fourth gear or from fifth to second. In the "S" (Sport), "S+" (Sport plus) and "M" (Manual) modes, an automatic double-clutching function is active. Every manual or automatic downshift is accompanied by precisely metered double-clutching – from "S" through "S+" to "M" incrementally. Not only does double-clutching make driving more fun, but virtually load-free downshifting minimizes any jerking, a special benefit when braking into a curve.

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds impressive, but complicated! And why does the gearbox have four different modes? I'd like to have comfort or sport only if I rolled in an AMG.
How fast is the clutch compared to the BMW or Audi DSG?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Thats great news and finally what we MB owners are looking for, I think a manual gearbox would be good but this is the second best.

I just wish I can retro fit this gearbox system on my car, thanks DJ for sharing!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Mohammed, by the time they get the bugs out and have it perfected it will be time to change anyway^^. Really not good to always be the first!!:ugh:

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smoothcab
^^ Mohammed, by the time they get the bugs out and have it perfected it will be time to change anyway^^. Really not good to always be the first!!:ugh:
I agree thats why I got the 2nd year of the production for the SLK and however its not always true my cayenne S which is an august 05 build 2006 model has lots of bugs considering its the 3rd year model.

right now I am going to get every penny worth of it until I see if the 997TTS by 2011 is a viable option.

I am really mixed up right now as with time I think the CS wont be reliable as its been in the garage many times for faulty pcm, parking sensor, panaromic roof and voice control.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
BritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enoughBritBlaster will become famous soon enough
The transmission on my E63 has been one of the most disappointing aspects of the car. Each firmware update has improved it gradually from "awful" to merely "annoying" now. There is no finesse, and frequently gear-shifts where you back off on the gas are accompanied by a THUNK! as the driveline gets assaulted.
You could make a sandwich in the time it takes between pressing the gas and waiting for the kickdown. When it arrives it's followed by an argument between 500+ hp and the traction control (it's nearly impossible to get a timely kickdown at moderate gas-pedal inputs). A very disappointing ownership experience on the whole.
The new tranny looks like it will address these serious shortcomings.