Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Apple Gurus need Apple TV help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Apple Gurus need Apple TV help

My apartment came pre wired with a network (ethernet) and I have Apple Wifi. When I did my Surround and Stereo system I used a 4 port switch plugged into the Ethernet and my Apple TV is connected to that switch, so the Apple TV is running hard wired not wifi.

Here is the issue, when I use Airplay Menu on any device- Macbook / IPhone / Ipad, I can only see my Apple Wifi Network (by name) or the device itself for playback I do not see my Apple TV as an option, what is my issue?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
rangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond repute
I never used Apple TV, so I don't know much about it. But, I guess Apple TV should be running on wifi for Airplay.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rangieboy17
But, I guess Apple TV should be running on wifi for Airplay.
this would be my guess as well

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
moabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond reputemoabite has a reputation beyond repute
On my phone so can't make a link look pretty - just came across this on Google.

http://m.tuaw.com/2012/04/24/how-to-...up-via-ethern/

Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the only way for AirPlay to work is with the appletv on the same wifi network as the other apple devices. You can also leave it hard wired and it will use that for steaming and stuff from the Internet.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
It tells me that to activate my WIFI I need to disconnect the Ethernet cable, once this is activated can I reconnect or it will not see both like any other device?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
cornfed is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe AirPlay only works with devices on the same WiFi network.

If you have WiFi available, why do you want to use the hardwire?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!bkagan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Simple answer, you can only use one or the other. If it is connected via ethernet it disables WIFI - its annoying but it is what it is.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Originally Posted by bkagan
Simple answer, you can only use one or the other. If it is connected via ethernet it disables WIFI - its annoying but it is what it is.
Thanks , I opted for Ethernet as its a faster connection then running wifi and figuring I was dealing with a lot of data it made sense. Therefore no AirPlay for me w it...

Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Thanks everyone !!!

Quick Reply: Apple Gurus need Apple TV help