Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

iPhone discharging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
Go to settings, locations and turn off time zone and any apps that you don't need location for. When you have time zone turned on it will always be pinging the server to see verify the correct zone vs the gps, I had location turned on for my local news apps, that was only for weather and I use a different app for that so I turned those off. If one of these apps with location turned on is in the bottom when you double click that means it is still alive and pinging home. All of that can waist a battery on an iPhone.
I could do this, but the ability for the phone to identify your location is useful for certain apps. Besides, I'm not sure why this would all of a sudden become an issue when the settings have not changed.

Originally Posted by 65°V12
Take it to the Genius Bar Ed. They can give you a new one right there. I've had battery problems with every iPod I've owned and they swapped them with no hesitation.
I decided that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Only potential problem is if they do give me a new phone, I'm hosed because of my aforementioned issue (inability to synch).

Originally Posted by Simba
Generally speaking, most apps and phone hardware won't suck up that much juice. Even GPS in high accuracy mode will run for days without killing the battery. The biggest drain is always the cell radio, and it always sucks more juice the farther away from a tower it gets.

So, if you're in an area with spotty coverage and running apps that constantly use data, the battery life will go down considerably.

Li-on batteries don't really have memory issues, but they do have a charge cycle life. If you've run your battery completely dead several hundred times, it could be getting close to worn out.
That's what I figured regarding apps and their ability to drain a battery. Unless my iPod was constantly running at full volume, I wouldn't expect it to discharge this quickly.
I think I may have completely discharged a battery once or twice, but 99.9% of the time, it still usually has at least 75-80% battery life left before I plug it in at night.
I just moved to an area of spotty coverage, but I've been here a month and it hasn't been an issue until yesterday.

Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I had a case on my phone that covered the cooling port. It drained the battery and overheated once.
I have a cover. Same one since I purchased the phone and I've never had an issue until yesterday.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Best of luck Ed!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
I had a case on my phone that covered the cooling port. It drained the battery and overheated once.
The what? The logic board and processor use the chassis as one big heat sink.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. Guess I can exclude that as a source then

Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
In technical terms, there is a hole on the right edge of my phone that shoots out hot air.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
In technical terms, there is a hole on the right edge of my phone that shoots out hot air.
That would be quite a trick considering there's nothing in the phone that can move air, nor really any space for air to move around. All the internal heat gets dumped into the SS frame.

Holes in the phone are as follows: Headphone jack, noise cancelling mic, speaker, dock connector, main mic, and the earpiece on the face. There's no "heat hole".

There's also the SIM slot on the craptastic AT&T version.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
I was referring to that small hole on the sim slot. Not sure of its function but I noticed it releases warm air and the phone overheated when I had it covered. I was speaking objectively.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I was referring to that small hole on the sim slot. Not sure of its function but I noticed it releases warm air and the phone overheated when I had it covered. I was speaking objectively.
Isn't that where you insert a pin to remove the card?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bonehead
Isn't that where you insert a pin to remove the card?
Yes. Covering the sim slot will not cause anything to overheat.

You really need to cook the crap out of the thing to get it into overheat mode.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
My wife just reminded me that I just got this phone about 6 months ago, not a year and a half. This is my second iPhone 4, the first was replaced due to a faulty mic.
So, now I really don't get it. A dying Li-battery was at the top of my list of possibly culprits. But only after 6 months??