Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Macbook Pro Crashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Macbook Pro Crashing

Lately my Macbook Pro has been crashing. It just goes to a black screen and becomes unresponsive, forcing me to reboot. It generates a report after restarting that I have been sending to Apple, but I don't know what that's going to accomplish. Didn't have this problem before installing Lion. Anyone else having issues?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Turn it off and hold command + option + P + R. This will reset the PRAM, and then repair your disk utility in the Utilities folder. PM Simba.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Is there anything in particular it seems to lock up while doing, such as a specific task? How old is the MacBook Pro (I ask because some of the older models had faulty logicboards/graphics processors)? Though if it brings up a crash report it sounds more software related.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Go through my troubleshooting steps and see if that fixes it.

If it's a black screen with no other information, it's some kind of software issue. Hardware issues tend to cause a kernel panic which results in the reboot screen below.

If there is a hardware issue, you can either try and diagnose it further yourself, or take it in to an Apple store, depending on your comfort level.

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
vyper340 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has the same issue and after getting Apple help over and over it finally was resolved with the replacement of the logic board (motherboard). It is my estimation that it was the memory or video card that is integrated into the logic board.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond reputesmokinghot4cars has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vyper340
Has the same issue and after getting Apple help over and over it finally was resolved with the replacement of the logic board (motherboard). It is my estimation that it was the memory or video card that is integrated into the logic board.
Sounds like a SMC Reset issue that they run into a lot. The guys at Apple say this is an issue associated with the logic board. You need to take it in to have them verify.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. I'll probably take it in since my warranty may be running out soon. I think the reports after reboot do refer to a kernel panic. I'll try to post more info next time it does it.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck!!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Just got back from the Apple store. They ran some tests on it and could not get it to crash. The crash reports all list the graphics card as the reason for the crash. I'm 19 days out of warranty. Luckily they are replacing the logic board for free.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond reputePinned has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ara
Just got back from the Apple store. They ran some tests on it and could not get it to crash. The crash reports all list the graphics card as the reason for the crash. I'm 19 days out of warranty. Luckily they are replacing the logic board for free.
Sounds like your machine is one of those affected by the nvidia graphics issue, which should be covered even outside of warranty for a good while longer. Glad to hear they're going to get it all fixed up for you.

Quick Reply: Macbook Pro Crashing