Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Issue with MBA - screen rolling to gray and a box pops up to shut down

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Teamspeed Member
dwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond repute
Issue with MBA - screen rolling to gray and a box pops up to shut down

Any thoughts? It's happened twice. Screen rolls gray from top to bottom (can still see the window I was viewing) and a box pops up that says I need to shut down and power back on.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't seen it on mine. I would take it in if you live near an Apple Store.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
That's a kernel panic. Something is making the OS extremely angry, could be software or a hardware fault.

Try everything listed here, and if that doesn't fix it, visit your local Apple store or VAR.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Member
dwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond reputedwishen has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, Simba. I'll try to hit the store tomorrow or Wednesday, or at a minimum call AppleCare support. Just for my knowledge, is there an easy explanation as to what you mean by kernel panic? I have no clue what a kernel is.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dwishen
Thanks, Simba. I'll try to hit the store tomorrow or Wednesday, or at a minimum call AppleCare support. Just for my knowledge, is there an easy explanation as to what you mean by kernel panic? I have no clue what a kernel is.
I general terms, the kernel the central component of the operating system that acts as a bridge between applications and the actual hardware. If something causes a fatal error the OS can not recover from, the kernel "panics" and halts the operating system. This results in the gray reboot screen you saw.

Many things can cause it, from corrupt hardware drivers to buggy applications to bad hardware. On a Mac, it's generally due to a flakey third party driver or a hardware error.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Teamspeed Member
Thanks, again. Called AppleCare support today and the tech had me insert the flash drive that came with the MBA and archive & reinstall OS X. Literally as soon as I told him what happened he said OS needed to be reinstalled so I just went with it. We'll see if the problem occurs again.

Any thoughts on whether this action was off-base/unnecessary?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dwishen
Any thoughts on whether this action was off-base/unnecessary?
Depends. It's a shotgun approach to problem solving, though doing so eliminates OS issues from the equation. If you continue to have the problem, it's almost certainly a hardware issue.