Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Noob with a MacBook Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Noob with a MacBook Pro

Ok guys I just got a macbook pro from my wife for Christmas and I am looking for a little help

I'm trying to transfer photos from my old Dell to it and for some reason it won't recognize the photos on the memory card. I shows 1700 pictures on the card on the old computer but I plug it in to the Mac and it brings up the photo screen but the Import All button doesn't allow me to press it.

I am a Nob when it comes to computers but I am slowly learning.

Any advice would be great

Mark

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Green has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond reputeGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I am a Nob when it comes to computers but I am slowly learning.

Any advice would be great

Mark
Knob or N00b?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
First, insert the card. Click on your finder and on the left side of the box under "Devices" you can select that card. Double click it to open up a new box, press Apple or Command +A to select all of the pics, and then drag the lot into iPhoto. Should be an easy day after that. Good luck friend.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry I don't speak N00Blish. What are you saying?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Green
Knob or N00b?
meaning I'm a moron..NOB Dimwit Halfwit idiot

Originally Posted by SoCal
First, insert the card. Click on your finder and on the left side of the box under "Devices" you can select that card. Double click it to open up a new box, press Apple or Command +A to select all of the pics, and then drag the lot into iPhoto. Should be an easy day after that. Good luck friend.
I do this and it pulls up directly "Devices" Underneath it says "no name" for the device and nothing pulls up whether I double or single click. It's like it's not recognizing it. It's really odd. I filled a 8GB card last night with part of my photos and they are just there now

Maybe the media card is Hating the Mac I don't know. I might just try a small memory stick it just will take so long.

I even tried USB to USB and couldn't link to the computer.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have MobileMe? Perhaps you can upload the files to your MobileMe storage and then download them to your Mac...it's not the best way, but it eliminates the media card as a possible culprit to your headaches.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Rolex Fanboy
I don't. I just use Gmail and I'm a Outlook Microsoft guy. I don't want to add a 4th Email address. thank you for the suggestion though.

I'm sure a small memory stick will work but man that's a lot of transferring

Old 12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
I do this and it pulls up directly "Devices" Underneath it says "no name"
That's common for weirdly formatted windows FAT partitions. If you don't have any data when opening the device (double click it from the desktop), then it's likely the actual data is somewhere else on the drive.

Open Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) and all of the partitions on the device will be in the left pane. If any do not show up under the "partition" tab, they are not readable by OS X. Some, though typically very few, weird windows format schemes are like this.

Failing all else, create a single partition with a file system (format) type of "MS-DOS" via Disk Utility, dump your data back onto the device from the doze box, and everything should then show up fine when you mount it again on the Mac.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
^ what samba said. It is definitely a format error. Make sure you have the originals on your Dell as re formatting the thumb drive will erase it (obviously). Then put the files back on the thumb drive and it should work fine.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Mark it's noob, not knob.

You knob.

Quick Reply: Noob with a MacBook Pro